1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

One-legged Chick: Will It Thrive?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Salt and Light, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Salt and Light

Salt and Light Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Osteen, FL
    Noticed today that one of my 3 week old chicks' leg has drawn up into a claw. Will it be able to thrive as an adult?

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Is it fully mobile?

the answer will also be your answer.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Can you move the leg it's favoring?

4. Salt and Light

May 20, 2008
    Osteen, FL
    Yes, the chick is fully mobile, although not as much as the other chicks.

The entire leg and foot is drawn up tight against the body. Never seen anything quite like it....

5. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    Is the leg warm and "alive"... or dead? Maybe it was injured and needs a bit of doctoring to get t back to use... Good luck!

6. akcharlie1960

akcharlie1960 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    Chugiak, Alaska
    You've got to be fair to the chicken and yourself. What will it's quality of life be. It will most probably end up a house chicken. Do you have the time and patience to care for a pet like she will need. That being said we have Wynonna the one legged wonder chicken here. She lost her leg to a predator last year at 4 months old but my girlfriend had fallen in love with her from day one. There was no question in her mind about taking care of that chicken. She lives in a large dog kennel in our bedroom window next to a cocatiel(?) and conjure for companionship. Chickens are very social critters. She is spoiled rotten and gets taken outside every day after work and most of the day on weekends. Her 2 sisters do try to peck on her but we don't allow that. We get an egg regularly. She trills when she's happy and complains when she's not. It's a tough call but my girlfriend doesn't regret her choice one bit.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    LOL! That is one LUCKY chick! She looks SO happy....and pampered! hehehehe LOVE IT!
    Salt and Light: Good luck with your little one!!!!

8. Salt and Light

May 20, 2008
    Osteen, FL
    I don't know what it's Q of L will be on one leg, that's why I posted my question. Has anyone raised a one-legged chicken outside?

9. koakritters

koakritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    I had a duck that's leg ended up like that, and after reading all sorts of stuff in the last couple weeks for my chick i had with a messed up leg, i found this:

Slipped Achilles Tendon in Hock Joint
    https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

idk what yours looks like, but this sounds like what had happened to my duck, and if i had known about it then i could have fixed it. he lived for 3 years with his one leg and after it gave out he scooted himself around in his cage. he had a very spoiled and pampered life though he was my baby! hopefully this can help with yours.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by