One Legged Chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MySweetChickens, Jun 26, 2016.

1. MySweetChickens

MySweetChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2014
    Michigan
    I had a baby chick hatch today with one leg that he is unable to bend. At all. So of course the leg sits uselessly behind him and since he is just born he has no muscle to even know or try to walk with one leg so my question is should i cull him or is there something i can do to help him

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

post a picture please

3. BabyandCotton

BabyandCotton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2016
    Florida
    Need a picture
    -Liv

4. MySweetChickens

Mar 24, 2014
    Michigan
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here it is i must say for one day he does fairly well to "scoot" around but i just want what is best for him

5. MySweetChickens

Mar 24, 2014
    Michigan
    Should he be kept out of the way of other chicks there are only 4 others around his size

6. Poultry parent

if he can't get to food easily/ or is getting trampled or bullied by the other chicks/ or is just all miserable then you should cull him i'm sorry to say

7. Chicken Bff

Chicken Bff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Missiouri
    i have to agree i mean you wouldnt want him/her to suffer would you

8. MySweetChickens

Mar 24, 2014
    Michigan
    True thanks everybody im going to give him 24 hours to prove he can survive and then cull mostly just to make myself sure im doing the right thing ya know he isnt getting trampled and can reach the food and water but struggles a little to do so, so again thanks everyone and sadly you all are right he will have to be culled:/

9. Poultry parent

i hatched a chick for a class at a homeschool thing and the chick had a slipped tendon and they didn't cull it, it has a home now but i'm positive that it's going to be in permanent pain.it was walking on it's joint . i wish they had just culled it but every person at the school thought that that was cruel when the cruel thing was to let the poor thing live!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by