one legged chicken?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sabong, Jun 26, 2010.

1. sabong

sabong Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2010
    so i have a chicken who's leg has not grown into the hip as it should and he has no use of it now...it started off as a spraddled leg problem that i couldn't correct...i fixed all his brothers and sisters but i couldn't get him straightened up...so i was wondering if he would be okay if i cut the bad leg off...could he walk with one leg...please let me know what you think

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  2. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Western Kentucky
    Pictures would be good to help see what is going on. The chick is a BO? Heavy bird, so only having one leg with its weight will be a strain on him. I had a pullet that the vet did amputate a leg on when it was about a week old due to slipped tendon, infected/broken joint at the hock. She led a very hard life. Because of the shift of her weight (she was an EE), her remaining hip joint would dislocate because of how she moved. She never could hop or walk, it was more of a flopping about. I had her euthanized when the quality of her life decreased.
    I currently have one that had a slipped tendon that never went back in and the joint reversed, she uses it for balance but nothing else. She is doing very well, but is an INDOOR bird due to her handicap.
    I would wonder, when you mentioned you had several with spraddle leg, about why? You shouldn't have many with spraddle leg unless there is something going on with the surface they are being kept on or something else happening during hatch. Good that those were fixable. With this guy/girl, I just don't know. Maybe others on here can add in.

3. sabong

sabong Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2010
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by