One legged chickens

mackenziesmomma

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 7, 2008
I am posting this in two forums because I am not quite sure where it best fits...

A raccoons got into my coop awhile back. Two young pullets lost a leg each. They seemed to have recovered but everytime I put them back in with the others, the other peck where their leg used to be. Will they ever be able to go back in the mainstream without being pecked?

tia!
smile.png

Maybe you could fit them with a bandage or something where the other chickens peck at. After a few days they might stop pecking.

Awwwww, so sad !!!!!!
sad.png

I hope someday they can !!!!! when the other chickens peck do they draw blood ????

I would be surprised if the flock allowed the one-leggers to peacefully live with them. They are different, and chickens don't really like different! Do you have any way to keep them in a separate area? They are really at a disadvantage, and would have a hard time escaping injury.

Good luck with whatever you decide! Please keep us posted on their progress.

I am afraid if I do let em go with the other ones they will be constantly pecked.
sad.png
I guess I will try to give them away to someone who will only have them or will keep them separate from their flock. I am in Fort Worth, Texas if anyone is interested. They should be great egg layers. They are 3 months old.

Last edited:
aww so sad!
sad.png
Poor girls.
First of all, please don't just sell them.
hmm.png
Give them a chance!
D.gif
Would you like it if you had such a disadvantage and the people around you(like family/friends) Just said, "Oh well, she doesn't fit in well. Lets just give her away to some retirement place". ???
hu.gif
Duh! Of course not. So, why do that to the hens? Because they aren't human? Because humans should get better stuff than animals? NO! :mad: Think of some ways you can help them instead of just giving up on them.
smile.png
Let them spend some time with the flock, but not in it. Put them in a separate chicken run, let the others be able to go near them from the other side of the fence, and that way they may get used to having the two 1 legged hens around.
fl.gif
I would give it a try. Why not?
I hope it all works out and sorry for your poor hens.
hugs.gif
I don't want to sound harsh, I'm just irritated that you put them with the rest one time only, and it didn't work, so you went and decided to put selling them as a good option(which it isn't unless you have tried everything and failed)
Good luck! :aww

Thats to bad, the others will always take out the weak, and these one leggers don't have a chance unless removed from the flock. As for the replacement, you can use a shish kabob stick, not sure how to attach it, then you can call them pegleg peckers.

Back
Top Bottom