one little turkey hatched-update 8 weeks old today

dinahmoe

Songster
10 Years
Sep 19, 2009
central georgia
it is one week old now and i have it in with the chicks.it knows how to eat and drink.i just hatched some guineas.should i put the turkey with them since they will be fed game starter?also ,how will one turkey grow up?i mean will it blend in or should i try and find another.i am happy with one turkey.
the guineas are spazzy and don't want to have "bad" influence on the turkey.
BTW it is a royal palm.

Last edited:
The Game Bird Starter is good, please get back to board to describe the influence of the Guineas on the turk (I'd keep a close eye on them after introducing poult - just in case).

well,it is doing great.we take it for rides on the golf cart.
it is still alot calmer than the guineas right now :fl

almost too big to fit in my hand

Thanks for posting the update.

Good to hear it hasn't picked up any bad habits from the guineas... but I've heard about those turkeys `winging it' in those golf carts :D

Last edited:
well,here HE is with the guineas.he is 8 weeks old today.
he is so funny.the guineas think he is their mama.he still falls asleep when i am holding him and also he still likes the golf cart.when ever he sees me coming into the yard he comes running to meet me.

this is my first turkey.
will this behavior change?i have had to get rid of some roosters that i really liked because the hormones changed them into little demons.
also, will he need a female to keep him away from the guineas and hens?

Last edited:
just some new pictures.he is really friendly but i can tell the hormones are kicking in a little.

here he is with the guineas still.i think i am going to have to find him some girl turkeys soon or get bigger guineas.lol

A jenny/hen might alter his `hormonal' behavior a bit (as regards other species - and shoes...). Our Royals have been more well behaved than our Slates/mutts. First generation of turks, here, showed up as poults after the chooks had taken possession of the area, so, now, 4 generations on, the turks still steer clear of the chooks. Have yet to have any of the toms try to cover/kill one (they run away from charging chickens).

Good to see he's doing well (have one RP poult we kept, this year - he's about a month younger than yours).

Back
Top Bottom