One little, two little, three little Indians . . .

Oh, and I just thought of this . . . If you don't use your egg shells for anything, feed them back to your chickens. The calcium is good for their egg shells. This is something you'll find elsewhere in the forum, but I just thought I'd mention it here, since you don't have access to laying pellets or bags of oyster shell that people use for extra calcium.

WOW Sky what an amazing story. Welcome to BYC. I will pray for Cary daily and God bless you for taken him in and giving him a future. With his determination he will be the pilot he dreams of becoming.

Quote:
Exactly! There is nothing like that here.

Quote:
We have plastic or glass large mouth bottles, like quart jars in the States. Can you please explain a lot more detail how you do the vasaline and how it prevents cockroaches from jumping ship? We have all the insects you have, worms, maggots, etc. I have never noticed whether our other chickens eat cockroaches or not. We (thankfully) don't have too many of those, but we COULD have all we want.

We have a certain kind of caterpillar that our chickens will not touch. I don't know why. They might be poisonous or sting. I don't know. But I have thought of meal worms, though I don't know how to grow them or whether the chickens would like them or not.

Quote:
There's not much there, but the videos will keep you busy, and should give you a good general idea, and I hope you like them too.

Sky~

Quote:
Woa!!! What an excellent idea! We'll start that immediately!

Thanks, Fowltemptress!

Sky~

If you don't mind my adding to this, before feeding those eggshells back to your chickens, make sure they are completely dried! You don't want them to get the taste of raw egg, or they'll be eating more eggs than you do!!
smile.png

We set our egg shell halves in an empty egg carton and allow them to completely dry. Then I pulverize them into small pieces and feed it back to them. Not too tiny pieces, though!

Quote:
Hi PD,

Your wish is my pleasure. Here is Laxmie (Lux shmee), but I couldn't get her to stop admiring her babies and hold her head still long enough to get them all in a picture. You can only count ten in this photo.

Laxmieandherfirstchicks.jpg

Quote:
Woa!!! What an excellent idea! We'll start that immediately!

Thanks, Fowltemptress!

Sky~

If you don't mind my adding to this, before feeding those eggshells back to your chickens, make sure they are completely dried! You don't want them to get the taste of raw egg, or they'll be eating more eggs than you do!!
smile.png

We set our egg shell halves in an empty egg carton and allow them to completely dry. Then I pulverize them into small pieces and feed it back to them. Not too tiny pieces, though!

Thanks for that extra tip! How do you pulverize them? And, about how long does it take to completely dry them?

Sky~

I bake my eggs shells in a 200 degree oven for about 30 minutes and then take a jar and crush them. Before a chick hatches they will pip the air sack to breath.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom