One little, two little, three little Indians . . .

Regarding how I keep roaches . . . I keep them un aquariums with some form of substrate on the bottom, either pine shavings or dirt. The substrate is important if you have a cannibalistic type of roach, so the babies have a place to burrow into. I also stack egg crate in the aquariums, to give the roaches places to hide and to give them a maximum amount of surface area. The more surface area, the higher the population of roaches in a container can be. On the lip of the container I smear a 1 to 2 inch line of vaseline all the way around, because the roaches feet are unable to get a purchase with their feet on vaseline. You have to make sure the line of vaseline is thin and smooth, because roaches can find their way over a thick, goopy line, and you need to check the line every now and then to see if there are any spots you'd need to reapply vaseline. I do have roach proof lids on my aquariums, but the vaseline allows me to work with the roaches without having to worry about them all crawling out. Feeding is easy for me . . . once a week I'll give them a handful of cheap dog food, pieces of bread, anything lying around I think a roach might like. Moisture can be given in the form of fruit or vegetables, or just lightly wetting a paper towel or cloth and sticking it in their container. I don't want a huge colony, so I don't feed or water them as often as other people do. They need to be kept in a warm environment, but if they overheat they can die.
When you first start a colony you might not want to harvest the roaches for a while, to make sure they start breeding well. This varies depending on the species, and how many specimens you start out with. My discoid roach colony originated from just three adults, but it took a year before the colony was large enough to start harvesting. My golden roach colony started with 50 adults, and I was able to start harvesting within a month.

I wonder what the shipping would be to send you some rat traps? I would offer to send some feed, but um, well, I'm sure the shipping would be a bit steep........
I wonder if you trade with the factory workers eggs for feed, granted with only 3 hens it would take a while. Maybe there is a way to appeal to their better nature? HHhhmmmmm
I suppose Fowltemptress's idea to raise bugs (shudder) would be the most economical way to go about it.....I know it's pretty easy to raise meal worms too.

I hope the rat goes away!

The treatment of their cows is appalling! It is amazing that their gods are so decemated! Wow......I can't imagine walking down the street and having a cow go by, just unattended. Crazy!

I was reading in someone else's post a while back where they put string or wire across their chicken yard. They had it stretched from the house to the fence at about foot intervals to discourage hawks. Maybe you could do that to their primary foraging area? Granted crows might outsmart it, but it could help to keep the other birds out.

If you have access to oats you make some oatmeal and feed it to them, they like it, as well as yougurt (if that's available) there are other options out there for feed, I'm just so used to being able to get ready-made, easy-to-use stuff. I would be in a pretty bad predicament if I were in your part of the world!

Quote:
UPDATE ON THE RAT!

We all went to be last night knowing the rat was in my room. The children and I prayed the rat would be dispatched somehow for having crossed it's boundary, and that he wouldn't hurt anything in the house -- bags of grain, other foodstuff, or us, etc.

We had laid down some rat poison just near the most obvious place the rat would try to get under the door of the bathroom where the chicks are. I was absolutely certain it was in the bottom of the chest of drawers, and we reasoned we should just leave it there alone and allow the temptation of the poisoned rat food.

Twice I heard some scurrying around. I turned on the lights both times and the first time didn't see anything. The poison was unmolested. Then after another little while I turned on the lights just in time to see him make an exit UNDER the window air conditioning unit. I had wondered why a rag I had under it had come loose, and now realize that's how he gained access to the house.

Well just a few minutes ago this morning, Donal came into my room and noted that the rat poison was gone! I hadn't noticed at all this morning. He felt around on the side of the chest of drawers and found only a small piece of poison was left. So, God has had a hand in removing this fellow! He'll die in his own nest instead of in our house. RIP.

Forget shipping anything! It's terribly expensive. I'd bet it would be over one hundred dollars. I'll look on the Internet and see what I can find locally. We need to contain this problem.

Sky~

Quote:
Hi Tattoo!

Our foraging area is way too big for a wire or string. But I'm glad to know about oats and yogurt.

About the cows. Ahem! Yes, it's a strange way to treat a god. However, many, many Indians are beginning to see the light. By the millions! They have noted with approval Ps 115:1-8 and taken special note of verse 8! Some still in the dark post videos like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unhpG8jZpxg

Best!

Sky~

Drinking cow urine?!? No thanks!!!
It's hard to fathom they why's and how's of some people's beliefs........

Check the feeding time listing in the index and you'll get lots of idea for feeding your flock!

So glad the rat is gone!!!Hooray!!! He had me worried. I hope you can find a way to rat proof the house for future times!

Good luck to you!

Quote:
Hi Engie,

I'm sure you're right. I just hate the thought of bringing another fly into the world, but if the girls got to them first, then I'd be all for it.
smile.png

I wish I knew where to get the black soldier fly. That looks, much better. I'll have to do some looking around.

Best!

Sky~

Back
Top Bottom