One lone duckling

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Gypsy07, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    So I've hatched out this one little duckling, an Aylesbury. I was incubating for a local farmer I know, and I've already done one hatch for him, but now I've got just this one little duckling I don't think he's too interested in all the hassle of raising and looking after just one bird, so I think I might be left with it. It's in the incubator fluffing up, and it's still recovering from an awkward hatch. It got shrinkwrapped and I helped it out (over 48 hours after pipping and once the blood vessels had dried up, so I'm pretty sure I didn't yank it out the egg too early...) and it's got a slightly swollen abdomen and a large scabby bit where the umbilicus was.

I'm not keen on rushing out and finding him a buddy, just in case he dies and then I'm left with another single duckling that I didn't even want in the first place, and anyway I've already phoned round a few people and the only ducklings I've managed to find within 20 miles so far are already three weeks old.

So what's best to do? I have some 4 week old chicks in a shed that he could go in with in a couple of days. They're still quite small so I think he could hold his own with them. Or I could keep him separate, give him lots of attention, raise him on his own and try to give him back to the farmer in a few weeks. I could try to find another duckling, but like I already said, I don't know if I'll have much luck. Or I could try to rehome him to someone who already keeps ducks.

I really don't want a duck, but I'll raise him and keep him properly if needs be. Oh, who am I kidding? I'd get him a buddy and dig them both a pond if that would be the best thing for him. I hate people who don't take responsibility for their animals...

Any suggestions on what would be best to do?

Or (extremely long shot I know!) anyone near Glasgow, Scotland with a spare duckling I could buy? Or who wants another one?

2. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    Dig the pond! Dig the pond! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I say put him with your chicks, I bet he will be fine with them. Then you can either try and find him a home, or just raise him and then give him to the farmer..or keep him! [​IMG] [​IMG]

~ Aspen [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by