One Lone Rooster meets 7 week old Chicks

Agnesmash

Chirping
Mar 23, 2021
I inherited a large coop with a protected run and a free range run. A young cockerel (not tamed) was abandoned on the property when the previous owners moved out, taking their 30 hens with them. I’ve managed to care for this rooster since the summer and he appears fully grown now, and he’s certainly lonely. Now that Spring is here, I bought some chicks (8 total) and they are now going on 7 weeks old and quickly outgrowing the brooder. Will it be necessary to follow the introduction steps as you would with hens? The coop isn’t designed for the chicks to have separate access to the run, plus it’s 20 degrees at night right now. This rooster is very skittish and I’m concerned he won’t go back in the coop at night if the chicks are running around in there, plus they’re still much smaller than him.

How large is the coop/run?
Are there cockerels or are they all pullets?

You never know how a rooster will react, so for me I would suggest introduction somehow or be prepared to block off an area for the rooster if things don't go well. He may accept the youngsters right off and have no issues.

Or he may decided to accept them then before long try to breed with them.
I'd watch a rooster with access to young pullets closely. They can cause injuries or death.

As far as I can tell at this point, all pullets. Coop is 10x12 and enclosed run is approximately 12x20. I’ve sectioned off 1/2 of the coop with wire, a box with bedding, and food and water. The pullets won’t have free access to the run, but they can see the rooster come and go. I accidentally left the coop door open while working in there and found him inspecting the brooder box, which may be a good thing? He is a Silkie and has never shown any aggression towards me. I’m going to follow everyone’s advice and introduce with caution and supervision.

Back
Top Bottom