one lonely chick

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mountainchick5, May 30, 2010.

1. mountainchick5

mountainchick5 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2009
    Pine,Colorado
    My Buff Orpington, Nutter Butter, has been sitting on eggs for about 25 days and one hatched 2 days ago. [​IMG] That's the good news. The bad news is , that she pecked at the poor thing and attacked it. My son luckily was down in the coop when it hatched and scooped it up when he saw her pecking it. We put it in a brooder. It's fine now, but it had a head wound and we didn't think we should put it back with her or she might kill it. Now she has about 12 other eggs she's sitting on. I don't know if any of the other eggs are good or not. I'm TERRIBLE at checking them. What if this is the only good chick out of the batch? How long should I wait to see if I should get some other chicks for it to live with. Do I need to? Will it be ok by itself?

2. RockyPhoenix

RockyPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    North Liberty
    if all the eggs were placed on the same day i would wait a few more days because sometimes there are late bloomers....also the chick will be fine...i have one chick by itself also cause its mom did the same thing..she had 2 more chicks today and theyre fine...so i would wait and yes the chick will be fine...hope i helped ya out!

3. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    I just had my broody reject my chick on wed while till sitting on 4 eggs so she came into the brooder and I just watched the other eggs.They were all placed over a few days but so far only 1 more hatched today and the other 3 are lookin good when I candled them.I am just chillaxin about it, when the chick hatched today my hen removed it from the nest like she did the other one and I scooped it up and she was fine alone for the few days.

4. mountainchick5

mountainchick5 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2009
    Pine,Colorado
    [​IMG]

Here's a pic of the little one.
    It's just seems so lonely. When we go to the brooder it comes right to us and will jump in your hand. So sweet. I'll try and be patient, and hopefully be able to rescue any others in case she rejects them too.The other eggs were added to the nest over a period of time. My 8 yr old son is the one that found it and he's getting up early to check on the other eggs. I think I have a future addict on my hands. Thanks so much for the reassurance!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    get little chicky a mirror so she can see another chick. A stuffed animal will comfort her too.

6. Vanessabuffsnsilkies

Vanessabuffsnsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    NE Ohio
    I had one alone in the brooder and he was pitiful. He would cry when I left. Someone on here suggested a feather duster and now I call that his "woobie". He sits on it and talks to it. He seems satisfied with it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by