one mean chick...

Quote:
Pick up BOTH of them in your hands....
and very clearly in a firm voice...
explain to the girls...
that you will have none of this silly nonsense anymore!
OR it's TIME OUT!

ROFL!!
wee.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif

Where did you get them? They are the same age as my girls I got from McMurray. My 2 EE's do some chest bumping only with each other, I assume to establish the alpha hen. The other 2 just stay out of it, mind you, one of my small girls is Lucy the beak deformed chick you replied about earlier...I also think I might be able to file it down somehow. The last girl is a Golden Campine and she is also quiet. Even though the 2 EE sister go at it with each other they never react when I pick someone up. They think they are all that and a bag of chips till I open the brooder and reach in, they scurry in fear...silly girls!

I have this happen alot. People say don't kick someone when they're down but with chickens it's the opposite. Your chick is making distress chirps when you pick it up so the other chick is taking advantage of the situation and asserting it's dominance. My chicks are seven weeks old now and the pullets are going at it more than the cockerels. I have a RIR pullet and a bantam cochin going at it pretty good. The rir is a bully and puches the cochin around but the cochin is experienced in guerrilla warfare and dive bombs the rir from about six foot away. I wouldn't worry much as long as there isn't any blood shed. They will get it figured out before long. Once they establish who the boss is you shouldn't have any problems.

Chicken's never cease to amaze me.From rearing to adulthood they can all be different.I don't think I ever had too many problem's between young raised together chick's.But once in the barnyard was a whole new ball game.I guess the some of the roo's were BAD Bad LOl.And some of my hens would peck ya good if ya tried messing with egg's.My most feared bird was Spinner a little Blue Cochin Roo lol.I think he terrorized half of my customer's my 2 daughter's, my grandson, my dog and the neighbor's dog as well lol.I tried everything to break him from actualy patting his butt to penning him alone.He was one of the first roo's to really ever have rule over everything but nature IS nature and I found was best to leave him his own domain and and kept the water hose handy when We had company the grandson or customers.He was a big baby really.Severe aggressive behavior can result in torn combs, wattles,blinded eye's and Your bloody leg's etc .I always keep check in free range season even with the hen's.Chicks are no different I have 5 brooders going right now due some pecking with newbies.I doubt I will have free range this summer due to new stock and breed's.If I wind up with a Mr Ugly Or Ms I have a special area this year.TIME OUT PENS.

Back
Top Bottom