Raising baby chicks with existing flock experiment

EE is 6 weeks old now and BO is 3 weeks old.

I attempted to get the chicks and put them up on the roost at night with the other hens once they settled down for the night. After some serious crying by the roo, all calmed down and it looked like they would stay there comfortably. I put them next to one of my nice girls who does not peck or chase them.

This however, did not work. I went outside a few minutes later only to find that the chicks had hopped off and had gone into their brooder area. Bummer.

Of course the brooder area is going away at some point, but with a long weekend trip coming up soon (2 weeks or so) and the girls needing to get through a lot of the layer feed, I figure I can have the chicks in there a couple more weeks. Once that trip ends though, I think I'm taking away the brooder area for sure.
I let the chicks decide when to roost, as they're inclined to follow the adults' example. But part of the reason that works is because the brooder gets closed up as well.

The 3 week old probably still needs heat so for the time being I'd continue to let them have brooder access. You can probably close it up next week if temperatures hold steady, so that gives you 1 week to try and get them to transition to roosting.

EE is 8 weeks old
BO roo is 5 weeks old

Brooder heat is gone, days are really warm now anyways.

I removed their large shelter and provided some temporary smaller shelter so that they can hide from the flock. My flock is very defensive so it's been a bit of journey but they are getting the hang of things.

Although I can probably remove it sooner, I'm going to wait just over another week to remove most of the new cover from the run. The main reason is that I have a trip and I want to be able to keep an eye on things.

But they are eating together here and there. When I travel they will be together for a couple of days in the run which will hopefully encourage further integration.

Attachments

• 20240124_162906.jpg
    20240124_162906.jpg
    341.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 20240122_113152.jpg
    20240122_113152.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 7
  • 20240120_171035.jpg
    20240120_171035.jpg
    845.3 KB · Views: 8
Just a quick update, it's been only a couple of days and I was getting a little impatient :D I picked the chicks up and put them on the roost at night with all the girls and they slept there all night :yesss:

The next day they tried getting up there but one of the girls scared them off :hmm But, after some convincing to the rest of the flock, and waiting about 10 or 15 more min for everyone to settle, I put the chicks back up and they stayed all night again! :wee

So tonight I went to see what the deal would be and the chicks were roosting with everyone :ya granted...the hens stay away from them on the roost, but I don't care, they have to get used to them :rolleyes:

As far as feathering goes, I haven't noticed much of a difference of them being outside vs inside honestly.

Attachments

• 20240125_230606.jpg
    20240125_230606.jpg
    359.3 KB · Views: 9
BO roo is now 7 weeks old
EE pullet is 10 weeks old

They are now roosting and have been integrated for the most part. Of course they are at the bottom of the pecking order and have to wait to eat and drink but the hens are pecking much less at them. I've removed all the extra cover and they have been fine for a couple of days without it.

The roo is very bold as he goes and gets his food when I throw it to the hens. The pullet is much more reserved and stays away. It's possibly related to the roo meeting everyone at 2 weeks old and the pullet being 5 weeks old, but if the roo is being bold now, then I'm hoping that's an indication that he'll be a good protector :D updates will probably slow down significantly now as all there's basically left to do is wait for them to grow up and see how things pan out :woot

Attachments

• 20240208_213516.jpg
    20240208_213516.jpg
    636.5 KB · Views: 8
Quick update, it's only been a couple of days but I noticed the chicks are sleeping closer to the flock :ya good stuff. So far I think early integration seems easier for me as an owner, I can just treat the flock as a whole.

Side note, I did switch the feed to all flock feed and provided oyster shell on the side for the hens. I find that better than the layer feed as when they don't lay as much in winter they won't be forced to eat the calcium.

Attachments

• 20240211_203047.jpg
    20240211_203047.jpg
    447 KB · Views: 3
The little roo is getting big! He's about as large as my smallest hen now, he's 4 months old (16 weeks) and has mated with the EE in that he was raised with in the last 2-3 days. Still now crow but that is only a matter of time. The EE (not pictured) is nearing 20 weeks so eggs getting closer as well!
1000029963.jpg

Back
Top Bottom