One Mean Drake...

MallardMama19

Songster
Oct 7, 2019
Minnesota
Hey Guys... I got a drake issue. In October my original male drake took off, so I went to the farm/feed store that I purchased them from and ask for a hen/drake to keep my other hen happy during the winter months. I got one adult hen and an adult drake, while they get along well, the drake is rude and I'm not sure what more to do with him. I would like to keep him around but if he keeps up his bad habits he unfortunately is going to become dinner.
Since we got him, he will chase after my dog when my dog walks by. At first, I was like ok, kinda cute seeing a duck puff up, head low and his and then charge my dog when he wasn't looking. Now, 1. its annoying, and my dog hates helping me with the ducks now, and 2. He has started doing this towards me, my husband and 2 year old. He specifically waits until we have had our backs facing him:he The other problem I am now having: He is trying to go after my new chicks and ducklings. I do NOT let them out in the same run together, the adult ducks get to free roam, and I only let my new little guys out when its nice and for short periods, in the enclosure my husband made. And Big J (the drake's name, short for Big Jerk) will stalk them and chase them along the fencing while they are out trying to nip them. My husband made me a nice large enclosed run, which my plan was to eventually have all of them be in together on days when i'm not out watching them free roam, and now I'm worried I won't be able to do this even when the littles get bigger because this dude is just mean. The other hens don't really pay attention to the youngins, just try to ignore them.
What do I do with this drake? I literally have no problems eating him because he wasn't my original duckling.....and my patience is wearing thin....
Thanks for any advice

I'd eat him. I have no tolerance for that stuff. We butchered a muscovy drake after he ripped the comb off a bantam rooster. I definitely wouldn't tolerate human aggression, especially if you have young children. There's always more drakes.

I'd eat him. I have no tolerance for that stuff. We butchered a muscovy drake after he ripped the comb off a bantam rooster. I definitely wouldn't tolerate human aggression, especially if you have young children. There's always more drakes.

Thank you! My hen likes his company, but I don't think she is fond of him either, she tries to wander away from him.lol. its funny, because with my other pets- i have a no tolerance for misbehavior, but this is only my second year with ducks, so I wasn't sure what to expect. But I'm getting real sick of his behavior...... I keep telling him he is gonna be dinner once my other ducklings are older and can keep my mama company.... now ill just start counting down the days.

Back
Top Bottom