1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

one minute oats for 3 week olds??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ema, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Ema

Ema Songster

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    I have a package of one minute oats in the cupboard. I buy a bag once per month for my St. Bernard because he has issues keeping weight on so I make him a special treat that helps him gain weight. Well his treats are done and I still have half a bag left. Are these ok to sprinkle in the brooder for my chicks to eat??

2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Sure. I use rolled oats for brooder scratch to encourage the chicks to keep the bedding turned up and fluffy. They love it.

3. Ema

Ema Songster

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    I sprinkled a few handfuls in their brooder and they went nuts!!!! I walked away and 10 minutes went back and they all ran towards my hand thinkign I had more. They are soo adorable!!!

4. organicchef

organicchef In the Brooder

Aug 14, 2007
    Central NC
    This is regular Rolled Oats....or Quaker Brand?

5. Ema

Ema Songster

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    I am not even sure what the difference between rolled oats or quaker is. I bought the great value brand from walmart they are ready in one minute after I add hot water. they have no shells or anything of the sort.

6. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Songster

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    They will eat the oats straight from the packet or cooked.
    The oats can be best or cheapest brand and they will still love them,

Sandie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: