one-month-old chick can't close its mouth completely. lesion, canker, growth?

HollysHensHouse

Hatching
Jul 28, 2023
Please help. I have 2 one month old chicks that have been completely isolated since the day the mother hen hatched them. 2 days ago, I noticed what I thought was food stuck in the inside tip of its beak. When I tried to remove it, I realized it was fleshy and attached. It is much worse today, almost filling the whole top inside of its beak. I also have an incubator in the same room with eggs hatching as I type. What is it and what should I do? Did it contract whatever it is from my flock? Will it infect my hatchlings? If it is treatable, can I introduce them to my flock, or will they be carriers and get my other chickens sick? Should I dispose of the sick chick? I have pics but I can't get the links to post. Any help will be much appreciated.

Here is a pic.

Attachments

• chicken beak 2.jpg
    chicken beak 2.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 10
Welcome To BYC

Can you get a clearer photo, have someone hold her and open the beak?

Without seeing it clearer, I would speculate that it's the tongue and swollen. Perhaps a string or piece of hair has wrapped around the tongue and cause swelling. Check it very carefully. Have a helper if you can.
Gently take wetted Qtips to help wipe away the accumulated crumbles and debris so you can get a better look.

I tried taking a better pic but I'm here alone and the one I posted has been the best so far. I will keep trying. But it is definitely not its tongue. To begin with it was just a tiny bump like spot in the very tip of the top of its beak.

Back
Top Bottom