One month's Success!

WallyBirdie

Crowing
Aug 2, 2019
I brought home a green cheek conure (is it cheek or cheeked?) on May 18th this year.

His name is Monty.

He was skittish, hand wary, and well flighted.
While he wasn't open to being handled, he adjusted well, quickly found joy in toys and treats and learned to play birdie basketball.

He is so smart and funny, very active.

I admit, it was a bit discouraging that he was so wary. He would hide in the corner of his cage when I changed food and water, and he waited for me to set a treat in his bowl and retreat before he checked it out.

But this improved with repetition! He stopped waiting and started coming to me when he saw the treats, though he was reluctant to take it directly from my hand.

He's getting more confident now and will take seeds and fruit from my hand.

Step-up training wasn't going at all how I'd hoped. Any attempt followed up with him flying off. He just doesn like hands. So, I looked into methods to train hand-wary birds...

Today, big triumph! Huge!
One small step for my conure Monty and one giant leap for us as companions!
Today, June 19th, he stepped up on my arm (onto my sleeve, persuaded with millet) and stayed there for nearly ten minutes!

I talked to him and offered him small bites at a time, and I talked to him while he perched on my arm. He might have fallen asleep if I hadn't needed to go feed the chickens. His eyes were blinking slow and he looked relaxed.

I used another treat to coax him from my arm to another perch.

He is such a good boy and I am so excited!

It also helps to clip a wing so he/she can't fly and will depend on you to get he/ she from place to place.The wing feathers will grow back and hopefully he/ she trust you enough where you won't need to clip again,but be weiry if you plan to go outside with he/ she,he/ she still may decide to fly off.

It also helps to clip a wing so he/she can't fly and will depend on you to get he/ she from place to place.The wing feathers will grow back and hopefully he/ she trust you enough where you won't need to clip again,but be weiry if you plan to go outside with he/ she,he/ she still may decide to fly off.

I like the idea of clipping wings once and letting them grow back in. That's how I worked with my other birds. But my conure could still fly quite high and far, even WITH his wings clipped by the breeder.
It was concerning at first, figuring out how to work with him. It took some research, trial and error, but progress is being made and it's going well.

Evidentially the breeder didn't know how to clip the wing.You clip 1 wings flight feathers so it throws their balance off.It works very well for training your bird.
In N.H.,Tony

Evidentially the breeder didn't know how to clip the wing.You clip 1 wings flight feathers so it throws their balance off.It works very well for training your bird.
In N.H.,Tony

I had a budgie with one wing clipped by the breeder. He could still fly. Clipped birds can fly, they just have less control, making their flight harder and more dangerous.

Back
Top Bottom