One More ? About Turning

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mylilchix, Mar 29, 2009.

1. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

OK, my bator doesn't have a turner. I'm planning on hand turning this time. I'm wondering if I can lay the eggs on their sides, and then prop the bator at a 45 degree angel to turn them. I just don't want to open it that often. Has anyone turned their eggs this way?

Thanks,
    Sonja

2. serendipity22

serendipity22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    NC
    I've tried it this way a little, but I always cringed when the eggs bumped into each other. So I only did it a few times.

The Egg Carton Method works well. It's where you have the eggs in an egg carton and just tilt it a few times a day. I used to put a couple of nice rocks in there and pop my incubator open and just move the carton to be resting on the other rocks. (does that make sense?) It makes it quick and I don't have to handle each egg individually.

3. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    I just sat eggs in my bator and have placed them in an egg card with the bottoms of the bowls cut out. I plan to turn mine by tilting the entire bator 3 timex a day. I place an egg carton under the back or front side, whichever way I'm tilting.

4. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

I am using the tops of the egg carton and tipping each egg towards the back and then the front. When it comes to hatching day- well day 18, I'll put the eggs into the carton and see what happens from there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by