one of my 13 day old chicks lethargic

scorwin

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 4, 2011
She is just sitting with eyes half closed, this happened all of a sudden. Crop feels mushy. she isn't eating or drinking that I have seen> What can I do??
This has been since late yesterday afternoon. Poop is runny. Please help, This is my first batch of chicks (6) I'd hate to lose one!!!!!

At this age my first suspicion is always coccidia. If I even suspect that I treat for it just because it is so lethal. Chicks can still come down with coccidiosis even if they are on medicated starter. Medicated starter helps prevent coccidia overgrowth until a chick developes it's own immunity but does not prevent. It's still possible for them to contract it.

Chick is a little better this morning. Crop still mushy but I think smaller. I dipped her beak in some pedialyte last even and she drank a little. Also some diluted poly-vi-sol. Seemed more alert after that. Did the same this morning and she attempted to peck at food on the towels I put down on the floor to let them out of the brooder for a short time. Still isn't acting crazy like the rest of the chicks, but a little better.
Manna Pro Medicated chick starter says to use that as the sole source of Amprolium. Is is still ok to add the Corid to all the chicks water???

This is probably a dumb question but how do you get a chicks beak open to give then anything???

My experience is limited but we has a very sick baby chick and she still open her beak as soon as she felt the water drops and seemed to swallow reflexively. Hope you little chick does OK.

My experience is limited but we has a very sick baby chick and she still open her beak as soon as she felt the water drops and seemed to swallow reflexively. Hope you little chick does OK.
That's what we do too with the youngsters. Older hens can be quite stubborn about opening up for meds. I usually have a helper hold the hen while I open the beak and slowly squirt the meds in. If the bird is old enough to have wattles you can gently grasp those and pull down until the beak opens. Just be very careful not to squirt liquid in to fast and choke the bird!

Chick is a little better this morning. Crop still mushy but I think smaller. I dipped her beak in some pedialyte last even and she drank a little. Also some diluted poly-vi-sol. Seemed more alert after that. Did the same this morning and she attempted to peck at food on the towels I put down on the floor to let them out of the brooder for a short time. Still isn't acting crazy like the rest of the chicks, but a little better.
Manna Pro Medicated chick starter says to use that as the sole source of Amprolium. Is is still ok to add the Corid to all the chicks water???
Yes, if you suspect an outbreak of coccidia you should still add Corid to their water. The amount of Amprolium in the feed is very small so if they do come down with it anyway you still need to treat with the stronger dose Corid contains if your going to save them. Good luck, hope they do ok.

Back
Top Bottom