One of my 3 week olds I found today with a compound leg fracture

monarc23

Coturnix Obsessed
11 Years
Jul 18, 2008
Indiana, Pennsylvania
Poor cutie, I was showing my mom how I have my birds set up and showing her how some of my breeding projects were going along. And while I was pulling out some of the odd colored ones to show her, I noticed one of my odd colored orange tibetans in th eback of the cage laying on it's side stressed out. I pulled it out and here it's leg was broken badly...to the point you could see the bone. So now the poor sweete is back in the indoor brooder with a splint. My first compound fracture on a bird (had a chicken with a broken leg but nothing this bad). Its a little swollen but it'll be fine in no time as long as the leg doesnt get infected. Basically just picture a leg half way cut
sickbyc.gif

It must have got it's leg stuck in the hardware cloth and freaked out and in the process broke it's leg. I hope it hasnt been suffering long, my mom guessed it may have happened yesterday that's a little too long for my comfort. So I will be watching the chicks more closely to make sure they're okay.

Thanks to someone else on here who mentioned they were able to completely heal their quail I am not even worried about this cutie other than infection... if he heals anything as fast as my chicken hen did he'll be walking around in no time
smile.png
All I used was a strong smooth stick and bandage tape.
smile.png

Boy, you and my wife would make a great pair. She has never seen a wounded animal that she couldn't heal. My hats off to you for taking the time and effort to save the little one. Congrats.

Doug

Back
Top Bottom