One of my 3 week olds I found today with a compound leg fracture

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by monarc23, Apr 28, 2009.

1. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Poor cutie, I was showing my mom how I have my birds set up and showing her how some of my breeding projects were going along. And while I was pulling out some of the odd colored ones to show her, I noticed one of my odd colored orange tibetans in th eback of the cage laying on it's side stressed out. I pulled it out and here it's leg was broken badly...to the point you could see the bone. So now the poor sweete is back in the indoor brooder with a splint. My first compound fracture on a bird (had a chicken with a broken leg but nothing this bad). Its a little swollen but it'll be fine in no time as long as the leg doesnt get infected. Basically just picture a leg half way cut [​IMG]

It must have got it's leg stuck in the hardware cloth and freaked out and in the process broke it's leg. I hope it hasnt been suffering long, my mom guessed it may have happened yesterday that's a little too long for my comfort. So I will be watching the chicks more closely to make sure they're okay.

Thanks to someone else on here who mentioned they were able to completely heal their quail I am not even worried about this cutie other than infection... if he heals anything as fast as my chicken hen did he'll be walking around in no time [​IMG] All I used was a strong smooth stick and bandage tape. [​IMG]

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    [​IMG]

3. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    [​IMG] let me know if there is anything I can do to help

4. silentrunning

silentrunning Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    Venice, Florida
    Boy, you and my wife would make a great pair. She has never seen a wounded animal that she couldn't heal. My hats off to you for taking the time and effort to save the little one. Congrats.

Doug

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by