One of my 7 week old chicks is starting to crow!!!

Brindlebtch

Songster
10 Years
Apr 15, 2009
Texas
I have a stealth rooster in my pullet order! Henrietta has turned into Henry. Unfortunately he is my favorite chick. He is a very personable Sussex. Can you de-crow a rooster?

6 weeks from now and he should be delicious.

I have a 6.5 week old Leghorn the crowed for the first time yesterday morning. It was hillarious but he's going to freezer camp soon.

In some places a vet will offer decrowing for a crazy high fee. I have heard the surgery is possible but I have also heard that it comes with a high death rate. I have never personally used this nor would I but its out there.

Why decrow ? sounds mean like debarking.
hide.gif

If you are allowed to have chickens let him crow especially if he's a nice rooster
apparently some are not very nice
roll.png

as xadika said always craigs list or you can list hi on the board some people look for roosters for things other than good eatins

I live in a suburb and don't want to hassle my neighbors with a crowing rooster because it would be inconsiderate. It is really nice to be friends with your neighbors and I told them hens and not rooster.

I don't really want fertile eggs, just eating eggs.

I neuter my dogs, I suppose I could neuter my chicken? Do they develop secondary sexual characteristics, like crowing, if you neuter them?

I don't know. Craigslist may have to be an option. He just has such a great personality.

Brindlebtch,
Hi there I got your pm.
I also wanted to let you know that I have heard of people having Roos in suburbs before. The trick is to get the rooster to not crow at night right? If you put your roo in a small dog kennel at night where he can only lay down he will not crow. They need to be able to stretch their neck up for a crow so if you confine him he will not crow, I heard. I haven't tried it myself. Are you worried about him crowing in the day as well? If so you might want to Kijiji or craigslist him.

Kycklingmamma

Back
Top Bottom