One of my baby quails...

Phantomsway

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 24, 2013
One of my quails has almost no feathers compared to the other ones. They all hatched on the same day,

You can spot it really easy
Is this normal?

Looks like a runt. Give it some time to catch up with the others in growth. As long as he/she is eating and drinking well, it should be fine.

Oh and welcome to the quail forums!

I'm raising quail for the first time and I've got two who are runty like this. I'm hoping that they catch up in growth to the others!

(they also share some similar odd behavior - they both like to dig and kick up their bedding excessively, WAY more than the other quaillings.)

This is just a thought.....

Looking at your crumbles, I'm thinking that maybe they might be too large for these two smaller quail to swallow. Maybe they are digging more in the ground to find the smaller crumbs that fall after others have munched on the larger pieces? I'm still using the coffee grinder for our crumbles, even with our adult buttons. Again, this is just my thoughts here, but I would separate your two smaller ones from the others, and feed them separately with finer crumbles to see if they start eating better and growing a bit faster.

---------

Oops, just noticed that the postings above were from two different people, but maybe just grinding the food smaller may help both of your situations?

Last edited:
This is just a thought.....

Looking at your crumbles, I'm thinking that maybe they might be too large for these two smaller quail to swallow. Maybe they are digging more in the ground to find the smaller crumbs that fall after others have munched on the larger pieces? I'm still using the coffee grinder for our crumbles, even with our adult buttons. Again, this is just my thoughts here, but I would separate your two smaller ones from the others, and feed them separately with finer crumbles to see if they start eating better and growing a bit faster.

---------

Oops, just noticed that the postings above were from two different people, but maybe just grinding the food smaller may help both of your situations?
X2
Those crumbles in the one picture look huge compared to mine, and my two week olds were still digging through for the smaller stuff at first.
Cheers,
Jessie

X2
Those crumbles in the one picture look huge compared to mine, and my two week olds were still digging through for the smaller stuff at first.
Cheers,
Jessie

I grounded up the crumbles so they would be smaller when they just came out of the incubator, they grew a little bit and I stopped feeding then grinded crumbles, they all were fine with it, even the runt one. I don't think that the size of the crumbles has anything to do with this, but I will give it a try and will report back.

Back
Top Bottom