One of my chicken keep getting egg bound!!!!!

I tended to give the probiotic after the antibiotics finished in case they interacted, but that's just me. There may be others on here who have more experience or simply disagree with that approach.

I've had several chickens who ended up with egg yolk peritonitis. They didn't poop like that though. They got very tired and, if they got better, did so slowly.

I hope it isn't because the outcome isn't a great one. You have a bit of time to get antibiotics into her (which you are doing) and then let her recover. Usually (again, I speak only of my own experience) it's not spotting the signs in time that has the biggest consequence.

By the way, is she by any chance starting her moult? I don't know where you are, but here in the UK, most of mine started moulting over the last month. They also then exhibit similar traits.

Keep us posted and all the best to you and her.

I tended to give the probiotic after the antibiotics finished in case they interacted, but that's just me. There may be others on here who have more experience or simply disagree with that approach.

I've had several chickens who ended up with egg yolk peritonitis. They didn't poop like that though. They got very tired and, if they got better, did so slowly.

I hope it isn't because the outcome isn't a great one. You have a bit of time to get antibiotics into her (which you are doing) and then let her recover. Usually (again, I speak only of my own experience) it's not spotting the signs in time that has the biggest consequence.

By the way, is she by any chance starting her moult? I don't know where you are, but here in the UK, most of mine started moulting over the last month. They also then exhibit similar traits.

Keep us posted and all the best to you and her.
I don’t think they are moulting. I’m in Australia. She is acting normal today which makes me so happy. Although yesterday she did have some trouble laying and got an egg out around 6pm(after a 3 hours napping). She laid again this morning as usual. Her cycle has been a bit weird. I’ll keep her isolated and keep an eye on her. I’m just glad she doesn’t have peritonitis coz I read online that it can’t be cured.

I am really pleased for you both.

Maybe she just had one of those eggs that gets stuff because something happened - like being frightened by a predator or similar. Then they don't lay and they kind of back up a bit. Your description sounds just like one of mine and she got over it OK, so hopefully it's now just a case of keeping a watchful eye as you say.

Enjoy your spring! We're settling into Autumn here and it is just starting to get cold.

I am really pleased for you both.

Maybe she just had one of those eggs that gets stuff because something happened - like being frightened by a predator or similar. Then they don't lay and they kind of back up a bit. Your description sounds just like one of mine and she got over it OK, so hopefully it's now just a case of keeping a watchful eye as you say.

Enjoy your spring! We're settling into Autumn here and it is just starting to get cold.
Thank you so much!!!!😁😁😁😁😁

Back
Top Bottom