one of my chickens got killed :( how to i make the run more predator proof?

Ouch, yes! Getting hit on the road is very bad! They don't always die right away either and can suffer terribly. We had one on the Guinea forum whose 'mom' was a medical person and saved the bird even after the leg turned gangrene and had to be amputated. That bird still lived for years. Guineas are attracted to the road due to the heat and bugs on roads. They cannot understand traffic just like we cannot fly. Saying it is up to them to watch is nonsense. (some people do, I cannot understand that attitude) It's just like throwing someone off a three story high roof and saying it is their fault if they hit the ground and get hurt - they should have just spread out their wings and landed softly. Guineas don't have the brains to understand cars and traffic like we do.

We are lucky since we are away from any major roads - our little neighborhood only has 5 houses and a long way to the main road. Our Guineas used to go to the neighbors, though, and before we had a fence I did two things that were somewhat effective:

1. I would be on them like stink on s#$% and not let them go in that direction - it took a while, but they do have habits and routes they follow and I discouraged that route to the neighbors long enough for them to establish another route as their routine.
  2. I put up one of those black construction fences that is about 3' high and has wooden posts rolled into it to drive into the ground with a sledge hammer. Constructions sites use it to help keep runoff on site - you can get 100' or so rolled up at Lowes for not too high a price. I put that on the edge to our neighbor's place. While Guineas can easily fly over 3', they prefer to walk and don't like a 3' high fence that is non-see-through, so it helped to keep them from going over it.
  3. Now we have a permanent fence there and they hardly ever fly over.
  4. Not letting them out very much/long also helps to keep them from wandering too far, but I cannot recommend that as a good solution. They are happier when they are out, I think. I just learned that one by default. The days when I could let them out from dawn to dusk, they went furthest and got into the most trouble, especially when they were out that much every day and started feeling more and more comfortable with their surroundings and going further.
Those are all great ideas! I do try to watch for them going to that section of our property and I go over with an umbrella and open it at them if they leave the woods and enter the grass at the edge of the street. I had to do that twice yesterday, and now they are alarm calling when they see me at all... I like the temporary fence idea, a silt fence, I believe, though I’m not sure that 100 ft would do it... I think their crossing points span about 300-500 ft. I was thinking about stakes with orange baling twine string connecting and some fluttery orange strip flags that I have on their electric netting fence. Yesterday, I was fantasizing about teeny little shock collars for when their little feet leave the woods... Sigh.

I had bought my nephew and his son five started pullets and a small coop last May. Since I didn't want to be too preachy I let him build a pen for them and he did a very nice job. The hens grew up and began laying late last year with no predator issues at all. Last week I received a call that he had found his Barred Rock hen dead in the lot and asked me what could have happened. He sent me a couple of photos and I immediately noticed a small gap in the corner of the pen which I surmised a predator had used as a point of entry. I advised him to take care of that gap immediately because whatever had killed the hen would be back. He took the proper corrective action and so far, so good. I told him not to be too hard on himself and that wisdom comes with experiences, both good and bad.

I like the temporary fence idea, a silt fence, I believe, though I’m not sure that 100 ft would do it... I think their crossing points span about 300-500 ft. I was thinking about stakes with orange baling twine string connecting and some fluttery orange strip flags that I have on their electric netting fence. Yesterday, I was fantasizing about teeny little shock collars for when their little feet leave the woods... Sigh.

:lau "fantasizing about teeny little shock collars for when their little feet leave the woods"

I can see it!!!

One does get desperate. Maybe you could do 3 silt fences for 300' in the middle of the area or do they cross the edges a lot, too? I dunno. Would have to see it and scratch my head and watch your birds and scratch my head some more... as we all do. :)
Maybe 300' ft silt fence and a plastic owl at each end - or something else scary, like your flags or a bit of electric fence at right angles to keep'em from going there.

… I do try to watch for them going to that section of our property and I go over with an umbrella and open it at them if they leave the woods and enter the grass at the edge of the street. I had to do that twice yesterday, and now they are alarm calling when they see me at all...

I can just see you - and your Guineas - it's like playing chess - we watch each other and plan our next moves... I like the umbrella idea - I bet they get that. I have an old pool rod that is about 10' long and I "herd them" with that - they look up and start running - sometimes in defiant directions - if they see me pick up the rod - and I flap my arms at them when displeased - they get that, too, as they do that to others (including our cars) if they want to send a powerful message, ha ha, I am bigger than you and you better watch out.

Would electric fencing work? Again, maybe too long a fence line would be needed. or a real fence between you and the road? 500' would be 5 rolls of wire and lots of T-post...

That's what a run is good for also - to keep 'em in while you are thinking!

Sorry, not too many more ideas here that may work - maybe someone else has more

:lau "fantasizing about teeny little shock collars for when their little feet leave the woods"

I can see it!!!

One does get desperate. Maybe you could do 3 silt fences for 300' in the middle of the area or do they cross the edges a lot, too? I dunno. Would have to see it and scratch my head and watch your birds and scratch my head some more... as we all do. :)
Maybe 300' ft silt fence and a plastic owl at each end - or something else scary, like your flags or a bit of electric fence at right angles to keep'em from going there.

I can just see you - and your Guineas - it's like playing chess - we watch each other and plan our next moves... I like the umbrella idea - I bet they get that. I have an old pool rod that is about 10' long and I "herd them" with that - they look up and start running - sometimes in defiant directions - if they see me pick up the rod - and I flap my arms at them when displeased - they get that, too, as they do that to others (including our cars) if they want to send a powerful message, ha ha, I am bigger than you and you better watch out.

Would electric fencing work? Again, maybe too long a fence line would be needed. or a real fence between you and the road? 500' would be 5 rolls of wire and lots of T-post...

That's what a run is good for also - to keep 'em in while you are thinking!

Sorry, not too many more ideas here that may work - maybe someone else has more
I’ve been going on and on about my guinea situation over at the guinea forum - your suggestions are quite helpful, thanks! When I went to the road to scare off the guinea pair that were thinking about crossing, I took this picture. The mowed area is an easement that the county mows, so I can’t put a fence there. The woods/undergrowth is our property. It’s on a tiny cliff that rolls into the easement. I’m not feeling super hopeful about blocking that off...

Attachments

• 637BCB90-9800-4934-801F-7118E0496875.jpeg
    637BCB90-9800-4934-801F-7118E0496875.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
... The mowed area is an easement that the county mows, so I can’t put a fence there. The woods/undergrowth is our property. It’s on a tiny cliff that rolls into the easement. I’m not feeling super hopeful about blocking that off...

Yeah - I think if they can **see** over the fence from the top of the tiny cliff, they would just flap their wings and jump over to the road anyway (and then have trouble getting back, to boot!)

What does the other side look like? could you block them from going into the woods or do you want them to eat ticks there?

Also, is there something attractive on your property away from the road that would make them go there instead of the road area? Our Guineas come running from afar when I am on the mower (which is quite annoying since I am afraid they get too much exhaust fumes or get hit with something thrown out from the blades and sometimes they block me from mowing since they stand in front of the mower - argh) since they know there will be bugs jumping around and they can pick bugs in the freshly mowed areas. Carrot and stick idea: if you would leave an area more overgrown on the other side, both for shelter and bugs, -and if they like it - big if - that may also help, to make that their more favorite side.

You could even periodically sprinkle some millet in an area you want them to frequent - they are smart when it comes to things that matter to them and things they can understand: just like the umbrella, they will start looking for you in "sporadic millet distribution areas", ha ha. Our Guineas used to call me at night, saying "Hey, it's millet time! (beer pun intended) Where are you?!? We sure are here waiting!"

Last edited:
I’ve been going on and on about my guinea situation over at the guinea forum - your suggestions are quite helpful, thanks! When I went to the road to scare off the guinea pair that were thinking about crossing, I took this picture. ...

Also just thought about what you said about "the Guinea pair" - maybe they are looking for a remote nesting area? In that case it **may** help if you can create those in the area (on your property and away from the road) where you want them to go. A little plywood tepee with branches covering each end is usually of interest to them if it is situated off the beaten path. They do like their privacy. I would secure the top with screws so it does not fall on their heads one day. I had hens on nests that I had access to and every morning they would charge to get there and sit all day and at night I would catch them (under strong protest) with a net and bring them in the coop/run area. Same deal every day. I replaced the eggs with wooden eggs and hatched the other ones in the incubator. Not ideal but those hens are still with us today! Fours others were not so lucky: they nested in such a secluded spot that I could not find them and they are gone. Something got them at night.:hit This was years ago and we lost 2 each year. Still miss them.

Think a net over the run isn't good enough would want something more substantial. A Hawk shooting downward could probably tear through the net, and pick up lunch when he landed.
Maybe he couldn't find his way out but, you aren't legally permitted to finish him off :confused:

Also just thought about what you said about "the Guinea pair" - maybe they are looking for a remote nesting area? In that case it **may** help if you can create those in the area (on your property and away from the road) where you want them to go. A little plywood tepee with branches covering each end is usually of interest to them if it is situated off the beaten path. They do like their privacy. I would secure the top with screws so it does not fall on their heads one day. I had hens on nests that I had access to and every morning they would charge to get there and sit all day and at night I would catch them (under strong protest) with a net and bring them in the coop/run area. Same deal every day. I replaced the eggs with wooden eggs and hatched the other ones in the incubator. Not ideal but those hens are still with us today! Fours others were not so lucky: they nested in such a secluded spot that I could not find them and they are gone. Something got them at night.:hit This was years ago and we lost 2 each year. Still miss them.
Hi Bennie, just an update: yes, I do think that our guineas originally went across the road and started a nest. Part of the reason I’ve had them locked up is so they will start a nest in the coop, which they have. One is now going broody on that nest. I think I’ve seen you post on the guinea forum - we should talk more there! I’d love to hear more about your guineas, and I often post about ours on the guinea forum.

Back
Top Bottom