One of my chickens in the morning won't come down from the roost!!!

andy3142

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 30, 2013
I have a 14 week old black cochin pullet. We just moved them into a new house about 2 weeks ago and it is right next to there old house. In the evenings she is able to walk up the 4 ramps to the roost wich is 7 ft off the ground. One of the ramps is stairs but she and the others all can easily walk up it. That's not my problem. My problem is in the mornings I will check on them at like 630am each morning most of them have left the hen house. When I have returned for the past 2 weeks she has gotten down 2 of the 4 of the roosts but is sitting on the platform about 4 feet off the ground. She will not come down the rest of the way. :( As soon as I put her on the 2nd to last ramp she literally frezzes up and wont move. I tryed puting one of the older chickens behind her to try to get her to go down and she did not move and she and that chicken do not get along. I do not want her to die of heat and want her to learn but the hen house gets hot so I try to help her down but she wont come down.If anyone has any advise on how to help me help her to teach her how to get down would be great. Thanks in advance.

Is there enough room for her to fly down?

Mine fly down from the roost in the morning, but it is only 36 inches from the floor. I have a ladder style roost at one end of the coop going up to 36 inches with three roost levels to serve as steps. They sort of hop from one level to the next then sidle over onto the long roosting bar where most of them sleep. Some of them fly up.

Perhaps you could entice her down the ramps with an offering of sunflower seeds or other treat, until she gets the message.

Chris

Yes there is plenty of room let me tell ya plenty of places to jump up and down. In terms of chickens it is not yet a mancion but an up scaled house. That's what is so strange is there is plenty of room to walk up and down and fly around inside. Thanks for the advise

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom