One of my chicks is not like the others...

Qz Sioux

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2020
40 milesNW of Houston, TX
Besides being a different color. If I can get the photo on this message, you will see what I mean. I just need to know what is going on. These babies were purchased from Ideal Hatchery. They arrived July 9th so they are the same age. They get the same feed, water and cuddles as everyone else. Baldwin is just "different" and I'm just unsure about what to expect as far as further upkeep. Please don't make fun of him/her (not sure what gender yet). You can laugh, cuz it can't hear you, but I giggle when I pick it up and love on it. It is a Frizzle Bantam and came in a mix of Frizzle bantams. I am hoping that the other 2 in the picture will be a roo and a hen. All three of them are just love bugs, and their eventual mates, the Turkens, are just as lovable.

So, can anyone tell me what is up with Baldwin?

Thanks

20200805_120245.jpg

I agree, looks like a frazzle. Only a bad breeder would create a frazzle, because they can have a lot of health issues. Where did you get him from?

I ordered all my chicks this year from Ideal Hatchery. I normally order from Cackle, but they didn't have any chicks available at the time.

Sooo, since it is a "Frazzle", what do I need to prepare for? Is that like having a homozygous (sp?) Merle collie? If s/he doesn't grow any more feathers, then I will crochet it a little sweater and it will be the house chicken. I just built a neat brooder/infirmary that I can turn into it's own cage if it can't be put out with the others.

Health wise, Baldwin seems to fight it's way into the group for food and water. S/he is never found hiding in a corner, but likes to socialize with the other chicks. I haven't treated it any different than the others, I just noticed that it wasn't getting as many feathers as the others and was also going bald.

Do I need to contact Ideal and let them know that their breeder is breeding inferior chicks? Do I have a baby that will live a good life, or will I always need to be prepared to find it feet up one day?

Thanks ya'll!

I ordered all my chicks this year from Ideal Hatchery. I normally order from Cackle, but they didn't have any chicks available at the time.

Sooo, since it is a "Frazzle", what do I need to prepare for? Is that like having a homozygous (sp?) Merle collie? If s/he doesn't grow any more feathers, then I will crochet it a little sweater and it will be the house chicken. I just built a neat brooder/infirmary that I can turn into it's own cage if it can't be put out with the others.

Health wise, Baldwin seems to fight it's way into the group for food and water. S/he is never found hiding in a corner, but likes to socialize with the other chicks. I haven't treated it any different than the others, I just noticed that it wasn't getting as many feathers as the others and was also going bald.

Do I need to contact Ideal and let them know that their breeder is breeding inferior chicks? Do I have a baby that will live a good life, or will I always need to be prepared to find it feet up one day?

Thanks ya'll!
I had a frazzle I got from someone else. It was a pitiful looking thing but sweet as anything. She was pretty healthy. If you live in a cold environment it might be a concern. Give her shade so she doesn't get sunburned. I'd keep her away from roosters if she is a girl. They can scratch up the exposed skin. You don't have to keep her from other chickens.

Back
Top Bottom