1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

One of my chicks is odd...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kslatta3382, Apr 7, 2009.

1. kslatta3382

kslatta3382 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2009
    Hey everyone! I'm entirely new at this - but I'm really enjoying it.

I've been raising three golden sex-link chicks for about a week, and one of them has this habit of going to the feeder and scratching the feed out onto the ground. I know that chicks like to scratch and forage for bugs and stuff, but does anyone else have a chick that kicks all the feed out of the feeder? By the end of the day, my feeder is empty and there's a big pile of feed around it - which none of the chicks eat!?

I just think this is funny and was wondering if anyone had the same experience. Its adorable to watch, but annoying to have to replace the feed twice a day and clean the bedding every few days.

2. citygirl

citygirl Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2008
    Dayton, Ohio
    Mine have also done this. You could try raising the feeder a little bit so it's not at feet level. I did that and it helped. Have fun with your little fuzzy butts.

3. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    ALL of mine did this.

4. kslatta3382

Apr 2, 2009
    Haha. Ok, its good to know I'm not alone in this. Thanks for the suggestion of raising the feeder, I'll try that.

Last night, they knocked the waterer a little so that it began pouring water over the side... the water mixed with the feed that this little guy had kicked around, and it all swelled up and started to smell. It was a nasty thing to wake up to! Ha!

5. Renee'

Renee' Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    Here is a really cheap solution. Buy the disposable ziplock/rubbermaid "tupperware" and cut a hole in the top with a utility knife. If you don't over fill it they can't scratch it out all over the place. Also, it will hold plenty of food for 3 chicks and doesn't take up a lot of room in the brooder. Worked perfect for me![​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Autumn Mama

Autumn Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    British Columbia,
    Yes, mine are 3 week olds, *messy* 3 week olds [​IMG]

My 7 year old calls them "messerators". [​IMG]

7. Lintonpair

Lintonpair New Egg

Apr 7, 2009
    Linton near Ballarat
    My last 2 lots did this as did my baby Goslings..

Raised the feed and it sorted the problem.
    They grew out of it mostly.
    I still however have 2 Geese who like to play slide in the seed each day and they are 10 months old..lol.

8. You need to go out and buy the small chick feeders. Yep, that is why they make 'em, chicks like to scratch at the feed it is just what they do.

The little round ones with the holes on top are the best for small brooders.

Have fun with the little buggers.

9. kslatta3382

Apr 2, 2009
    I have one of the small chick feeders, and she still does this. She just picks a feeding hole and stands on it and starts shoveling away!

Thanks for all the advice.

10. scarter

scarter Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Roberts, WI
    Someone on this site had a brilliant idea of putting a pie plate under the feeder then at the end of the day or at some point you could collect all the fallen feed and pour it back in the feeder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by