One of my chicks is picking on another

Chickadee13542

In the Brooder
Jan 22, 2018
Hi one of my 4 day old chicks (Elizabeth the buff Orpington) is pecking at one of my other chicks (Cleopatra the black Austrolorp) I know chickens have a pecking order but Elizabeth doesn’t really peck at any of the other ones. It does seem to be really violent or anything but it still worries me. Thoughts?

More information. How many chicks? Where are you brooding them? What is the temp of the area the brooder is in? What are the exact dimensions of the brooder? What are you using for a heat source? What is the temp under the heat source and what is the temp at the other end of the brooder?

The temp is perfectly between 95 and 100 F and the brooder is also the perfect size for the first week. All the chicks are happy and comfortable, I think it is just the pecking order taking place

Hi one of my 4 day old chicks.... is pecking at one of my other chicks... I know chickens have a pecking order but Elizabeth doesn’t really peck at any of the other ones. It does seem to be really violent or anything but it still worries me. Thoughts?

Sorry I meant is does [not] seem to be violent

Welcome to the world of keeping mixed flocks of chickens. Some strains of chickens are more hard headed than other strains and these hard headed strains are unlikely to knuckle under to a more dominant chicken. It is called "gameness".

thanks! its my first time keeping chickens and it is adorable to watch all of their personalities shine through

Back
Top Bottom