One of my docile cochins was pecked totally bloody today!

ImAnewbie4

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 5, 2012
My husband just brought her inside to get her away from the others and he's not sure if she's going to make it.. I'm so heartbroken.. She (and the rest) is only 6months old. I think she's in shock right now because she's got her eyes closed. My husband draped a blanket over her for now, but what else can we do? :(

Wash the bloody areas with a saline solution to get the dirt out, pat dry, then smear liberally with neosporin (just the plain stuff.. NOTHING with pain relief. Its toxic to birds) or spray with Vetericyn (blue spray bottle, buy it at Tractor Supply. Its great stuff). Go overboard with it, you can't put too much. Once all that is done, put her into a small dog crate and cover the sides with a towel and put her in a warm, darker area (a box might work too if that's all you have). Leave a dish of food and water on the door so she can have it if she wants it. Don't be surprised if she doesn't eat, she needs time and quiet to get over her pain and shock.

Check on her occasionally, talk in quiet soothing tones and keep your movements slow. Don't put dressing on the wounds if you can help it (use gauze and vet wrap if she starts trying to pick at them). She cannot go back in with the others until this all heals somewhat.

If you want to give her a tempting treat, try yogurt or scrambled eggs, they'll give her the protein and good pro-biotics she needs to help heal. I wouldn't try to really feed her until tomorrow. Wounds can be retreated with the neosporin or Vetericyn as needed.

Thank you so much.. My husband got her cleaned up and she "seems" comfortable. She's snuggled up in a blanket after her struggling to get away when he cleaned her up. Hopefully that's a good sign.

Back
Top Bottom