One of my ducklings came blind! Missing an eye socket. UPDATE 2/7 pg3

G Wiz Ranch

Songster
11 Years
Jan 20, 2009
Lompoc, CA
Hello all, new member here, been lurking awhile. Lots of great info. Thought I would share this with you. We have been raising chickens for a little while and decided to give ducks a try. I ordered 20 hatchery choice ducks from one of the popular web sites. They arrived last friday 1/16. We actually got 21 but the only yellow one (Pekin) died the first day (looked like it had a broken wing). Looks like I got 12 mallards, 3 Khaki Campbells, 4 B/W Magpies and 1 Cayuga.

One of the Khaki Campbells is missing an eye socket on the right side and seems to missing the eye from the left side. He is totally blind. He does a great job of getting to the food and water by listening to the other ducks. He holds his head up a little different then the others, I guess to hear. Its kind of sad, but he seems to be doing good. He is almost always in the middle of the group, its like he surrounds himself with the others. When he drinks, he must get disoriented because sometimes he falls over backwards tilting his head up so high.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I should do with him or for his care? Thanks, Mark

EmailIMG_3082.jpg

EmailIMG_3081.jpg

EmailIMG_3063.jpg

Last edited:
wink.png
I did call, they were very nice, they offered a refund or credit on next order, but I am ok with her/him, I don't mind, I think I ended up paying only $2.12 per duck.

wow, that's weird no one noticed when packing up the duckling... would you mind saying which hatchery you got it from?

Kudos to you for not immediately disposing of it. Are you going to keep it? I think it would be really neat raising it if you have the time to put in the effort

the pictures make it look like both eyes it is only 1 eye right? if so im guessing this duck will be the princeess of the flock as you will pamper her for all to see

Quote:
I am going to keep it, I have my fingers crossed and I am going to take great care with it. I would hate to "throw the hatchery under the bus" because they have been very nice and aplogetic. Things happen for reason. I would order from them again, despite this.

Quote:
Sorry, I am not sure what you mean. There is nothing on the right side of its face where the eye should be. On the left there is a socket, an eye lid, but no eyeball.

I am trying not to mess with him/her too much since they are less than a week old. Perhaps in a couple days I will try to take better pictures.

Thanks for all your support.
smile.png

ok sorry i mis read above i only read that 1 eye was missing so know knowing both are gone he really is going to be real special as you are going to have to pick him up and drop him at the food and water and carry him everywhere, it is going to be a very hard job but if your up to it good luck, and also being outside is not good as he can not see where to walk or if there is a predator around but like i said good luck with him/her

Back
Top Bottom