1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

One of my favorite things about my flock...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bcmama, Jan 2, 2013.

1. bcmama

bcmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2012
    My Coop
    I wanted to share, since I am a newbie to the world of chicken farming as I am sure many of you have experienced this for years. But one of my favorite things about my flock is when they are out of their coop free ranging and I walk outside they all run up to me. Some will even try to fly to get to me as soon as they can. As I walk I feel like the mother duck with her ducklings walking behind me or in front of me. If you sit on the ground they will be all around picking at the ground or my clothes, and one will even jump up onto my shoulder and sit and rub her face on me. She also does this almost every time I scoop out the coop run (don't burst my bubble if this is a bad thing about rubbing her face on me because I like thinking that it's affection [​IMG])

Just thought I would share. Simple things in life are special.

2. chippysmom327

chippysmom327 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA
    That's so cute!!! My chicken kinda does those but not the jumping on my shoulder part. :)

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I agree - chickens are one of life's simple pleasures! Thanks for sharing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by