One of my favorite views...

Chickerdoodle13

The truth is out there...
12 Years
Mar 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
283054_10150227436513085_713083084_7496348_1825397_n.jpg

I went trail riding with my dad this weekend. He has made a few friends at this park and we met up with them. I haven't been on a horse since last summer and I was a bit nervous at first. It didn't help that two of the horses out with us were a bit young and mis-behaving! It didn't take long for me to relax and realize I've really missed riding. Once I relaxed, my horse relaxed and we had a wonderful ride. College has really kept me from riding these past four years and I'm hoping once I graduate I may get a bit of time to ride before starting up schooling for my graduate degree.

Quote:
Ugh, tell me about it! I certainly wouldn't be able to afford one on my own. Luckily, my dad is very much into them and he covers the costs because they are such a big hobby of his. I know if I ever moved far from my parents I would not be able to afford horses for quite a while. I'm hoping I'll be able to live near them for a very long time!

Okay, that is a GREAT picture. It's always great to see a new perspective.

When I was little we moved out into a rural area and for Christmas my stepmother bought me horseback riding lessons. That was the best month of my life. I moved to the city and haven't err had the chance to do it again.

Quote:
I love horseback riding too, In Kansas horse prices have dropped tremendously. I bought my 5 year old registered AQHA gelding for only $500 dollars. That was a very good deal. If that is too much, they also have horse rescues or people looking to get rid of their horses because they can no longer pay to feed, vet, or farrier them. Sadly, that is happening a lot more often because the price of everything. I hope you will eventually be able to buy your own horse
smile.png

Thanks everyone! That is Stetson in the picture. He's not the prettiest horse to look at but he does have a nice color and he definitely knows his stuff. He was used as a Mexican ranch horse for most of his 8 years before we got him. It took him a while to calm down at our place, but now he is great. Not for beginners, but it's nice riding a horse that will stand quietly and will go wherever you tell him to!

I wanted to take my small camera with me to get some more photos but decided not to because the last time I was on him he plopped down in the lake with me on his back and I got soaked! I didn't let him in the water this time, but there were so many puddles that I didn't want to take the chance that the camera would get ruined!

hlf1996,

My mare Sedona was given to us free and she has turned out to be a great horse. The guy who owned her was a farrier and still couldn't afford to care for all of his animals. Farrier, vet, and feed are the big killers! My dad has started giving his own shots (for the ones that he is able to) and will trim up their feet a little bit between farrier visits for the horses that are barefoot. That really helps a lot. The feed is still a killer, but hay is much cheaper in NJ than other states it seems so we are doing ok. Their grain is an arm and a leg though, and the prices are still going up!

Back
Top Bottom