one of my Guinea's has a sore on its leg and is limping .....

rjopp

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 8, 2012
one of my birds has a sore on its leg and keeps holding it up...they are out right now free ranging. I can't get the bird in because all the others keep chasing it. what should i do and when I get the bird is there something i can treat it with???

please help!!! dont know what to do feel so bad for the bird

If you can, catch her tonight and bring her inside to examine her wound. If it is scabbed and dried, do nothing. If it looks icky or raw, apply antibiotic ointment.

I got her finally and was able to apply some antibiotic ointment...think i should keep just her in the coop tomorrow by herself?

I would keep her cooped for at least a few days. If the other birds are picking on her or pecking at her wound you should put her in a cage or doge crate, in the coop so the other birds can see her, but not pick on her. If you remove her from the flock completely the other birds will be less accepting of her than they already are. Blu-kote is a good med to use on wounds... strong antiseptic/antimicrobial and it hides the wound (it's a dark purple color and stains everything dark purple instantly). You can find it at most feed/farm stores that sell medications for horses and livestock.

i have put some antibiotic ointment on her twice so far and tomorrow i will go get some of the stuff you recommended. is that normal behavior for the other birds to be picking on one that is hurt? why do they do that?

i have put some antibiotic ointment on her twice so far and tomorrow i will go get some of the stuff you recommended. is that normal behavior for the other birds to be picking on one that is hurt? why do they do that?
Sometimes Guineas will just out of the blue decide they do not want a particular bird as part of their flock... and she may have injured her leg trying to escape the aggression from them, hard to say. It's been my experience that once there is an injured bird in the flock the rest of the flock will then see it as the weak link and a threat to the flock's safety so they ostracize it/run it off. Guineas are attracted to blood/wounds, regardless of aggression and can cannibalize a wounded bird to the point that it's killed or has to be put down. Good luck with getting your girl healed up, hope she heals quickly and the flock stops picking on her.

Back
Top Bottom