One of my hens didn't come out of the coop this morning

She came out of the coop but is just standing in one place. I didn't know what egg bound was but googled it. I don't think I have the expertise to either diagnose that for sure or massage the egg out of her if that's the problem. I should probably call a vet. I will try to keep her separated from the other chickens and see if she is pooping. Thanks for your help everyone.

She came out of the coop but is just standing in one place. I didn't know what egg bound was but googled it. I don't think I have the expertise to either diagnose that for sure or massage the egg out of her if that's the problem. I should probably call a vet. I will try to keep her separated from the other chickens and see if she is pooping. Thanks for your help everyone.
If she is egg bound you will most likely see the broken egg hanging out of her vent ( at least in my experience that's what an egg bound looks like)

I

My hen is staying on the perch like yours this morning and she is not eating or drinking either! I noticed a little blood in her poo😢 does anyone know what is wrong with her?

Give her Corid treament right away. Bloody poo is common when there is coccidiosis. Severe worm load could cause the same problem too. Deworming is not a bad idea.

She's only 2 and is normally very energetic. She follows me around. There is definitely something off. I just don't know what to do. I'm going to call a vet.

I

My hen is staying on the perch like yours this morning and she is not eating or drinking either! I noticed a little blood in her poo😢 does anyone know what is wrong with her?
I would make your own thread. Your and OPs chickens likely don’t have the same problem. It’s also considered polite to make you own thread. Sorry your chicken is sick.:hugs

I just saw her poop. It was runny and whitish yellowish. She's moving very little. I put some meal worms up to her and she ignored them. I have a call in with the vet.

I looked at some youtube videos. I think the "panting" I saw in her rear is a symptom of being egg bound. She's walking around now a little more, but I haven't been able to find anything like an egg that might have come out of her.

From what I've seen so far, epsom salt baths are the best thing to hopefully help her.
Has anyone tried them? Do they really work?
Should I keep her inside tonight in the garage where it will be a little less cold? I'm in SF and it's not super cold but I'm guessing it goes down to the low 50's at night.
Will I see the bound egg come out?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

@pattyfan How is she doing today? We’re you able to get ahold of a vet?
Thanks so much for asking. I just posted again. I brought her to the vet Friday. She was eating, drinking, and pooping fairly normally. The vet said she had a cold and gave me an anti inflammatory liquid to shoot into her mouth for 4 days. That was Friday night. She seems a little worse now, which really concerns me. She isn't eating much and only drinking a little and her eyelids are closed a lot. I don't think the vet will be able to see her before Monday afternoon and I'm worried that she won't make it until then or that it will already be too late.

Back
Top Bottom