One of my hens died :(

crsect

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 13, 2013
Got home today from work and one of my hens had died. I have a small box in the cage that they like to lay in and dust bathe in. I found her in there and it appears that she choked on wood chips. There was a large chip lodged in her mouth and part way down her throat I removed it and it was wet with saliva as though it had been there a while. She was still warm to the touch so it must have just happened, really sucks. Totally bummed, I have removed the box for a while to observe the others and make sure they are not getting sick.

Got home today from work and one of my hens had died. I have a small box in the cage that they like to lay in and dust bathe in. I found her in there and it appears that she choked on wood chips. There was a large chip lodged in her mouth and part way down her throat I removed it and it was wet with saliva as though it had been there a while. She was still warm to the touch so it must have just happened, really sucks. Totally bummed, I have removed the box for a while to observe the others and make sure they are not getting sick.
I'm sorry for your loss. It's always hard to lose one.

Sorry for the confusion. They were pine shavings like you would put in most pet cages

Back
Top Bottom