One of my Pekin ducks died, should I get a new duck for my other Pekin duck?

pekin12ducks

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2016
Monday morning I heard one of my Pekin ducks going nuts outside, and I walked out there and only found one duck, with other feathers all over the place (some feathers were bloody) and that's when I relized something got one of my ducks. I went outback to go see if I could find the duck, I did, it was horrifying, we buried it, so we didn't leave the poor thing out there in the woods. But now my question is that I don't know if I should get a new duck for my other Pekin duck. Will my Pekin get along with a new duck, or should I get a duckling? And would it be ok if it was a different breed of duck?? Please help
1f60a.png

Yes. Ducks are social flock animals. They do better with other ducks. Any breed will be fine. It may take a week or two for your ducks to get acclimated to one another, but after that it will be better for her.

The predator will probably come back, so you should give some thought to how to protect your surviving duck.

I'm so sorry you had to experience this.
hugs.gif

Yes, your surviving duck needs a friend. Ducks can get depressed if alone. I would try to find another duck about the same age and/or size. That way you can start introductions sooner. Though I would advise you keep the other duck in quarantine at first so you can be sure it isn't sick.

And I second ChicagoDucks on the need to check your predator proofing.

I'm so sorry you had to experience this. :hugs
What does ChicagoDucks mean? I haven't heard of that before.

Yes, your surviving duck needs a friend. Ducks can get depressed if alone. I would try to find another duck about the same age and/or size. That way you can start introductions sooner. Though I would advise you keep the other duck in quarantine at first so you can be sure it isn't sick.

And I second ChicagoDucks on the need to check your predator proofing.

Yes, I'm definitely investing in some better more protecting coops, I've been so worried about my serving duck that it is living in a indoor cage right now until I get a new coop
1f60a.png

Back
Top Bottom