One of my two ducks passed away

giannalee

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2020
Hello,

I have just joined this community in hopes to find some guidance. I have two one year old Khaki Campbell ducks. They are named Cheese (female) and Quakers (male). Yesterday afternoon Quakers never returned to the coop and Cheese seems very upset and confused. We typically allow them to roam our yard during the day while we are home. We believe some type of animal must be the culprit and we are quite devastated ourselves. I read many posts that suggest bringing one or two ducks home that are relatively close in age but unfortunately, I have contacted many farms in the area and none are able to sell their adult ducks. Cheese does not appear to a strong motherly instinct because she typically lays an egg and never really goes back to sit on it or show any interest. I do not know if it would be beneficial to purchase two ducklings in order to keep her company. I do not want to make the situation worse, so any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• A7D148DB-63DC-4376-957D-0E2C559BA793.jpeg
    A7D148DB-63DC-4376-957D-0E2C559BA793.jpeg
    977.9 KB · Views: 7
Sorry for your loss, and be sure to place her in a secure pen as the predator will return. I would suggest getting at least two ducklings, raising them up and introducing them to her when they are somewhat larger. Good luck. She will be at a loss missing her mate for a while.
Thank you. We have the pen located in the garage that way there is an extra level of protection so she will be safe.

Hello,

I have just joined this community in hopes to find some guidance. I have two one year old Khaki Campbell ducks. They are named Cheese (female) and Quakers (male). Yesterday afternoon Quakers never returned to the coop and Cheese seems very upset and confused. We typically allow them to roam our yard during the day while we are home. We believe some type of animal must be the culprit and we are quite devastated ourselves. I read many posts that suggest bringing one or two ducks home that are relatively close in age but unfortunately, I have contacted many farms in the area and none are able to sell their adult ducks. Cheese does not appear to a strong motherly instinct because she typically lays an egg and never really goes back to sit on it or show any interest. I do not know if it would be beneficial to purchase two ducklings in order to keep her company. I do not want to make the situation worse, so any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
It sounds like you have a fox...do not let Cheese roam freely for a while or she will be nabbed also. So sorry about Quackers...:hugs

Back
Top Bottom