One of our hens behaving strange

chick_master

Hatching
10 Years
Apr 27, 2009
Hello,

We are raising four hens and two female ducks for about one year now (ducks came later, about two months ago) and since this morning one of the hens start behaving strange. When walking around her feathers are puffed but most of the day she’s laying down in the nest giving 6 eggs today (does not let any one else use the nest). Last (and most unusual for her), she have no apitite.

If additional info needed please ask, this is my first time here and I have no idea what to look for so any guidance would be appreciated.

Should we get worried or this is normal?

she sounds broody, when you touch her does he fan her tail, and growl??

if so she's broody
smile.png

Quote:
That’s exactly what she does. Thanks all, no worries then.

If you don't have a roo and you don't want to buy fertilized eggs for her to hatch, you may want to do a search here on BYC about breaking her of her broodiness. It's hard on a hen's body as they don't eat, drink or exercise as much when they are broody. Use the search feature, key words 'breaking broody'.
Also, once a broody has layed her clutch she will stop laying eggs until she comes out of broody mode. Best to break her of it.

Last edited:
Sounds like she's going broody. One suggestion to brake her is to either put wire in the bottom of the nest box as they don't particularly like to lay on wire or remove her to another location for a few days. I have a rabbit hutch I converted to a brooder/jail. When I had a couple of bad girls I put them in jail for a few days. There are pictures on my BYC Page.

Last edited:
And btw, take the eggs away if they are not fertilized, or if you don't want her to hatch them.

Back
Top Bottom