One of these eggs is not like the other...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ThisishowIroll, Feb 8, 2015.

1. ThisishowIroll

ThisishowIroll Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2014
    Richland, WA
    I just started washing my eggs and putting them in the fridge instead of keeping them at room temp. I was under the impression I only had one (Ruby the RIR) of my three hens laying as eggs have all been the same color and in the same nesting box. I witnessed her egg song and first egg around Christmas time, so I knew it was her. However, when washing eggs this week I noticed this: [​IMG]
    Clearly one is quite speckled, but the same under color. When the eggs dried, however, they all look the same. The other two possible culprits (ha!) are:

Shirley: a bantam frizzle who is over 2 years old that I adopted but who, as far as I know, hadn't laid since I got her. I find it concerning/impressive that a 2#ish bird could produce a 2 oz egg.

Martha: a EE who I've never seen in that nesting box and who has just now started submissive squatting.

Is it possible for Ruby to be producing randomly spotted eggs? Is Shirley a tiny super chicken producing eggs much larger than one would think possible? Is Martha a covert layer? Am I overthinking this? Yes, yes I am.

2. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Hmmm....
    I get speckled eggs from flock which is mostly RIRs. It is possible that the egg is Ruby's.

3. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    I get them occasionally,the specks usually can be washed off.

4. ThisishowIroll

ThisishowIroll Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2014
    Richland, WA

I'm thinking it could be... The lady I sdopted Shirley from responded and said she used to lay cream to vey light tan eggs, so that rules her out. The speckles don't wash off, honestly I kind of like them! I'd just be a bit sad if it was Martha because I was really hoping for green or blue out of her. Her pea comb has just turned red and started to fill out so I know she's close!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by