One of these things is not like the other…

They’re little stud muffins for sure - the BCM keeps getting more handsome too. I’ll keep them as long as the neighbors are ok with it and they both mind their manners. At this point they *seem* like BFFs, but time will tell if their relationship can survive puberty.
Usually cockerels raised together don't have a problem as long as there are one of two things.
1. Enough hens to go around
Or
2. No hens at all
Bachelor flocks are a thing, and many people on this site (including myself) have them. The boys get along just fine if there are no ladies around. They might square up every once in a while, but it shouldn't be bloody all-out war. ;)

Bachelor flocks are a thing, and many people on this site (including myself) have them. The boys get along just fine if there are no ladies around. They might square up every once in a while, but it shouldn't be bloody all-out war. ;)
Sorry for the intrusion. I've been thinking of a bachelor flock and wanted to ask about the crowing. In my pens, if one rooster starts crowing, the others start too. I just sold two bcm that were the worst offenders and the whole place has quieted down. What is the crowing like in a bachelor flock? Same as if there were hens?

Sorry for the intrusion. I've been thinking of a bachelor flock and wanted to ask about the crowing. In my pens, if one rooster starts crowing, the others start too. I just sold two bcm that were the worst offenders and the whole place has quieted down. What is the crowing like in a bachelor flock? Same as if there were hens?
So here's my setup.

I have a pen with a few roosters and hens, and then a bachelor flock. Sometimes the roosters in with the hens crow and that starts a "crow down". Then everyone crows back and for about ten minutes to get it out of their systems, and then they stop.

But it's not constant crowing, and I don't think the ones in the bachelor flock would crow besides a stray crow here and there if not for the ones in the main coop.

So here's my setup.

I have a pen with a few roosters and hens, and then a bachelor flock. Sometimes the roosters in with the hens crow and that starts a "crow down". Then everyone crows back and for about ten minutes to get it out of their systems, and then they stop.

But it's not constant crowing, and I don't think the ones in the bachelor flock would crow besides a stray crow here and there if not for the ones in the main coop.

Back
Top Bottom