1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

One or two Polish

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Tamma, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Tamma

Tamma Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2012
    Adkins, TX
    HI! I have 3 red star 1 year old. I am going to get 3 more chicks (don't worry, I won't integrate them until the new ones are really big and they will be gradually introduced) I definitely want a polish. They are so cute I just have to have one. Anyway, I have been reading alot on here and some claim that polish get picked on because of their hairdo. Would it be best for 2 of my new chicks to be polish? Do you think that would help a little to prevent plucking? Thanks in advance.

2. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Having more than 1 Polish won't stop the plucking, but it may spread the unwanted attention out enough to make it less of a problem.

Just a word of caution - the vaulted skull of the Polish makes their brains more vulnerable. It might be a good idea to keep the Polish away from your mature birds until the Polish are also fully mature.

3. Tamma

Tamma Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2012
    Adkins, TX
    Thank you. Yes, I do intend to keep the birds separate for at least 4 months. I think it's a good idea then to get 2 polish. They can share the abuse (if necessary) while they are learning to get along. Thanks for your input

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by