One problem after another .....

TiffamyM2505

In the Brooder
Mar 27, 2015
So we added 3 new BR hens to our current flock of young soon to lay girls. Turns out these 3 girls were swamped with mites and that was a total headache. We beat the mite issue and now I am battling something new with one of the hens. First off these 3 girls were "already laying" and we have only gotten 2 eggs in the weeks we have had them. I just wrote it off to stress of a new home. Anyway, this latest issue came up Sunday. I went out that morning to my typically happy flock of girls and treated them with their so far favorite warm weather treat (lettuce and some apple halves). All seemed the norm until I went out that afternoon and found one of the new hens laying with her head drooped over, one eye closed, looking pitiful. The 3 new girls are NOT use to being handled like the girls I raised up from chicks so they usually dont like the idea of me picking them up. However, when I went into the run this gal just laid there. My gut told me something was up I just didn't want to me a worry wart. So I stirred her up and then went back inside. I came back out about the time the girls start making their way into the coop and while all the other girls were still scratching about she was already in the coop sleeping. Well I got up Monday morning and first thing I noticed was that she was up, but right back laying in her "spot" out in the run isolated with her head drooped over, looking worse then ever. She actually look skinny to me. Well I decided it was time to pull her from the run and went to get a crate to put her in. When I was headed out she eased up and walked slowly about just a moment and pooped before laying back down again. I noticed when she pooped it was clear mucus streaked with a milky white and yellow substance. It literally ran down her butt and kinda sprayed. Sorry for the graphic description but I am looking for help here. I had not seen her eat or drink since Sunday morning and was at this point worried worried worried ( i still am). Especially, since she so freely let me pick her up and tote her out of the run with no fuss from the girl who normally cant get away from me fast enough. She is now in a temp pen in my garage so that I can keep an eye on her. I have managed to take a dropper and drip some vit/electrolite mix down her beak and get a bit into her that way. I have not had luck getting her to eat or drink. I checked her vent and it looks normal. She does feel skinny though and her poo is almost like mucus infused seaweed and yellowish snot! I noticed she in general has a peculiar smell to her that made me wonder if there was infection somewhere. I know something is off I just don't know what. I started her on some oxytetracycline just in case. I remember the farmer saying that was his go to if he had a sick bird. I am just so lost and just got my feet wet in this whole chicken raising thing and so far its been a headache! Just to say she is up this morning moving a bit, which is an improvement over her laying limp with one eye open and one closed like she has for the last two days.
he.gif
Although her poop is still just as yucky and she isnt wanting to eat or drink still.

There are several kinds of coccidia. Hen's usually have built up an immunity to whichever type they were exposed to in their last home. It is entirely possible that these new girls are not immune to the kind at your place. Treat all your new girls for coccidiosis.

Ive had to deal with a bout of that a while back, but it seem to come on a bit slower then this. It was young chicks still in the brooder. This girl is also about a year old gice or take and I always thought younger birds were most likely to pick cocci up. She only had the real running bowl movemwnt the once everything since then is the later of what I described. Ive got corid, but something tells me Im dealing with something else. Now what that is I havent the foggest. I did get her to eat a few mealworms and a few bites of bread. She refuses her crumvles though.

The thing with coccidia is that there are at least 9 different strains of it. A chick will gradually build up resistance to whatever type it is exposed to. But when you move that chicken to a completely different place, with a different strain, that built up resistance is not a guarantee.

Back
Top Bottom