One pullet dominating another

foweler

Songster
10 Years
Mar 10, 2009
Chico, CA
I have 3 pullets free ranging in my backyard with a large coop and plenty of food, treats, and love for all.

My light brahma has started harassing my brown leghorn. Not constantly but occasionally she will get pretty relentless.
They are all laying under the mandarin tree together right now but earlier I looked out the window and saw Pepper (LB) chasing down Biache' (BL) and wouldn't stop until Biache' would lower her head in submission. I only saw her peck at her once and it wasn't very hard. She usually just herds her around with her chest.

Biache' is two weeks or so younger than the other 2 and noticeably smaller.

Red (RIR) doesn't seem effected by any of this. Pepper and Red still do the chicken dance (what I call it when they run/flap/jump at each other and get chesty as they meet) and neither seems to be the boss.

Pepper has also started chasing bluejays out of the yard and I would swear she was about to charge the cat yesterday.

She is coming in from the disabled list- she had a pretty sore leg that kept her from running and scratching for about 3 weeks but is getting close to 100% now.

Is this just the pecking order process?

Pecking order is exactly what it is. In the absence of a roo, sounds like your LB has decided to take charge.
If they are not drawing blood, just let them sort it out.

I thought that might be the case. I just don't want Biache' feeling left out and alone. Heck, she can fly and might go awol
lol.png

PS Congratulations, you are about to have the busiest day of your life!
4 years now and my wife is still my best friend too.

it was funny, after my obnoxious roo went into the freezer I has less pecking order issues. It was like they all could relax and had less stress to take out on each other.

They still keep each other in line, but wwaayyyyy less than before.

Pepper is my lap chicken.

Nobody, and I do mean nobody is going in the freezer!

I might have to build a jail though.

Quote:
Thanks for the wedding congrats!
smile.png

I'm like you, I might threaten my roo with the freezer every once in awhile, but nobody is going there.
Again, not drawing blood? They are just being chickens.

Back
Top Bottom