One pullet is wreaking havoc on the rest

marbleheather

In the Brooder
Jun 29, 2016
I have 6 pullets and one all of a sudden decided to peck the heck out of one of the other ones. The injured one has a giant bald spot on the back of her head that was bleeding some. I treated the injury but I'm at a loss for what to do with the bully. I have a small-ish coop with an attached covered run as well as a mobile PVC and wire run. Once I figured out which one is the bully, I moved her to the mobile run by herself. I've tried several times over the past few days to reintroduce her but she runs right to the injured one and starts pecking her again.

Seeing as I live in the 'burbs and am not a farmer, what should I do? I don't feel prepared to whack her. Also do I need to have an even number in my flock if I get rid of her? The other 5 are getting along swimmingly.

spray the injured one with hot pick. A nasty spray that if any of the others pick at her they'll get a taste of. and a hen saddle, this protects the injured hen from being picked at all and not to mention supper cute

I got Blu-Kote at the farm store but the bully still went for her. The only other stuff they had was Pick No More. Is the spray available online? I thought about a saddle but I've only seen ones that protect the back and not the head...

I got Blu-Kote at the farm store but the bully still went for her. The only other stuff they had was Pick No More. Is the spray available online? I thought about a saddle but I've only seen ones that protect the back and not the head...

I think Pick No More would work like Hot Pick? Also, you could try a little bonnet in the mean time.

You do not give dimensions or age of your pullets, but I think space is the issue and more than likely you are going to get worse behavior unless you correct your numbers. I am guessing and making an assumption, so could be wrong.

This often happens as birds begin to grow, what seemed like more than enough space when they were little, is becoming too crowded. I think I would try and sell two of them. Get rid of the bully and the next most aggressive bird. They are the birds that are bothered most by the overcrowding. Some birds can tolerate it better, some breeds can. There are only two ways to fix over crowding, less birds or build a bigger space. Wishing they would all just get along won't work.

While it does not matter if you have an even number or an odd number of birds in your flock, I think you should sell 2 birds. My reasoning is that your birds are still growing, and the space issue will come up again. Sometimes these habits become hard to get rid of it if not addressed quickly in a flock. If you sell two birds, I think you will be amazed at how the tension in your flock will be removed. I had a predator help me out, years ago, and I realized, that until the tension was gone, I was not really aware of it, but my birds were. I can recognize it now with more experience.

Thing is, miserable picked on birds are not fun to be around, they upset you too. A happy flock is so much nicer, always solve problems for a happy flock. Point of lay birds are an easy sell.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom