One pullet, one roo, and one ... what?

MaryZoe

Songster
6 Years
Jun 26, 2016
Naples, FL
I recently bought three OE chicks. One is definitely a pullet, one a roo, but this one has me stumped. Any guesses as to the gender of this little one? It has a somewhat developed comb (it's about 4 weeks old) and it's large for its age, but its feathers seem a bit rounded...wishful thinking? Anyway, I'm hoping. The red heat lamp makes it a bit hard to see the chick well. Please let me know if more photos would be helpful. Thanks in advance! MaryZoe

Drat! I must admit that it acts like a cockerel as well. But check out this photo, showing it in front of its brother. Its stance is more like a pullet, I thought. Wishful thinking?
Are those saddle feathers pointy? Its comb sure is big, too. Anyone close by Naples, Florida want an Olive Egger cockerel? Araucana (actually Araucana, not Ameraucana or Easter Egger) rooster x Black Copper Marans hen. Should have great genes for some f2 OEs.

Do you have a photo comparing it to the pullet? The comb size and colour there still has me thinking it's a cockerel, especially since it looks pretty similar to the one that definitely is a cockerel.

Agree it looks like a cockerel.

It's way too young for saddle or hackle feathers. Those don't show up until 10 weeks at the earliest, sometimes not til 14 weeks.

I could try to get a photo, but to be honest, I've pretty much resigned myself to 2 cockerels and one pullet. The pullet is much smaller and her comb is still yellowish and small. The pullet and this cockerel look a lot alike other than size and combs. They are both black and rumpless. The other (obvious) cockerel has more BC Marans, while this cockerel has more Ameraucana. Oh well. I'll probably keep one of the little fellas, but who knows. They may both have to go. I only have 12-15 pullets/hens and I have 2 roos I intend to keep already--one mature and one well on his way. We'll see how they all get along. Fingers crossed!

BTW, thank you all for your responses. I love this game. Though I'm still a relative newb, I'm learning all the time and slowly but surely getting the hang of it. Now I have some silkies that have me totally stumped. They're about 6-7 weeks and the cutest puffs ever. I'll wait a bit before sending photos! :)

Back
Top Bottom