One quail alot smaller than the others

pmk3001

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 1, 2014
Hi everyone

My coturnix are now 2 weeks old. One of them is about 1/4 the size of the others, it still looks like a chick. The others started pecking him, his leg was hurt quite bad. I have separated him/her from the rest, but he keeps calling to them. Is there any reason why this one is not growing?

I am feeding them a turkey starter that is 22% protein. Is 22% protein ok? Can they have 22% protein the rest of their lives?

It seems impossible to get higher protein feed in the UK.

Thanks

Paul

Hi everyone

My coturnix are now 2 weeks old. One of them is about 1/4 the size of the others, it still looks like a chick. The others started pecking him, his leg was hurt quite bad. I have separated him/her from the rest, but he keeps calling to them. Is there any reason why this one is not growing?

I am feeding them a turkey starter that is 22% protein. Is 22% protein ok? Can they have 22% protein the rest of their lives?

It seems impossible to get higher protein feed in the UK.

Thanks

Paul
You can feed them 22% their whole lives. They may not grow to their full potential (not a big deal you probably won't notice) since they've been fed this the first couple weeks but no worries, it won't affect overall health. To add protein you can add smashed hard boiled eggs for the next couple of weeks. You can also add meal worms, in moderation, they are high in fat you don't want each bird to consume more than 3 whole large worms. Cut them up into pieces cause they look like quail toes and they'll pick each others toes when they run out of meal worms.. Once they are grown 22% is perfectly adequate.

Regarding the runt. Most times he will catch up in growth around the 4th-5th week. Sometimes they do not, however. Typically they die from system failure if they are going to die. Otherwise he'll just grow up late. Keep him separate (he's going to cry, try giving him a small stuffed toy) so he will have unlimited access to food and water, he'll either grow up or die. Most pet stores sell a bird vitamin called vita-sol or something similar. You can add this to his water font as directed by the bottle to help give him a vitamin boost.

1/4 size is a little odd, with that size difference it will get picked on so as mentioned keep him seperated

I have a runt male who is at least a year old now
he is about 80% normal size but is a excellent roo
I wouldnt keep him but my wife thinks he is "cute"
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom