One REALLY Mean Chick!!!

I'm going through this with a silver leghorn chick.
I have her in an upside down wire colander.
it is working okay. I plan to put her in a brooder by herself for a few days with some stuff animals that don't taste good LOL I don't know what else to do. I have 2 chicks recovering from pecked eyes in my hospital brooder right now!

I just wanted to give an update on MISS MEANY ..... LOL

She is STILL in chicky jail LOL I partitioned off a section of the brooder box and put her in there with her own food and water. She tweeted and really wanted to get back in with the other 11 chickies but I didn't give in. She (or he) is just going to have to stay on time-out for a while longer. I have it set up so that the light shines in both the large area of the brooder where I have the 11 chicks and in the small area where I have MEANY.

Actually there were two of the other 11 chickies with pecked at eyes (one eye each). A RIR and a Ameraucana.... Both seem to be doing ok now and their eyes are opening back up just a tiny little bit. So, I am praying they haven't lost their sight in that eye.

None of the other chickies seem to pick on each other and are all getting along fine. I am still going to pick up a red light this week (they were out at the store when I went -- wonder if there are a bunch other people around here getting chicks too?).

When I pick MEANY up, she is one of the most calm chickies to hold and pet. Too bad she (he) is not that way with the other sister chickies. I do wonder if this little chick might not be a roo....

Does anyone know if barred rock chicks (male & female) look different from each other? I know the adult chickens do.

And thanks for all the help that I've received on this forum from everyone!!! I really appreciate it.....

Of all things, I had a silkie chick that was just like that. She grew up to be a little pullet (girl), but she was a terror with the other chicks.

She pretty much preferred being alone, and I finally had to rehome her.

She would actually pick the baby cochin up by her head fuzz and FLING her against the wall of the brooder, she was THAT aggressive. She scalped and would have killed her and was only slightly older herself than the others. I was at a loss, she was a dear to humans, but hated other chickens. She would have made a great house pet all on her own, with no other critters around tho.

She is happy now and seems to get along fine with a bigger flock, but she is still a loner, and I dont think I would EVER trust her to raise babies.

You just gotta see this. I think all the bullies can be tamed with "Pinless Peepers" and you can have some fun at their expense if you embelish. Take a look.

17397_googleeyegirl.gif

17397_sleepyfoureyes.gif

17397_saywhat.gif

17397_sadgirl.gif

17397_pinkeye.gif

17397_easterbonnet.gif

And I have movies at the link below.

Quote:
Sounds like my MEANY.... She'll grab one of the others by the toe and then take off running and drag the other chickie from one side of the brooder box to the other LOL

HEH I have a thread going about a mean chick as well , I named the chick Atilla the hun, and her first victim just died. She is the tiniset little bitty thing its kinda wierd.. she is a barred rock as well and only 4 days old.

Where did yours come from? I bought mine from a Feed & Seed (who ordered from Ideal). She was hatched on Wednesday... she's also 4 days old today!!!! Maybe they were mean evil twins LOL

My chick is in her own brooder, (it is clear plastic so she can see the chicks in the next brooder.
they are now about 11-12 days old?
this chick is from McMurray.
I'm going to move the chicks I still have into one BIG brooder this weekend. I may try to introduce her than again. - I'm not all that hopeful!

Back
Top Bottom