One roo too many - what to do?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Kwyjibo, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Kwyjibo

Kwyjibo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2011
    Bainbridge Island, WA
    Hi,

Turns out one of our young Doms is a roo. He's almost 5 mos and started crowing a few weeks ago. Now he crows ALL THE TIME - and loud. We want to keep him - he is an absolutely beautiful specimen of a Dominique Rooster. But I don't want to put my neighbors in the position of having to complain.

He's too special for freezer camp. He really should be making more Doms. What's the best way to find out if anyone in Western Washington (Puget Sound) is raising Doms? Is there a hometown forum on BYC?

Any ideas what to do with Bobby-Ray? Ideas that involve him being alive!?

2. moodlymoo

moodlymoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    look on the washington thread and see. Its under "Where are you"

3. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Well perhaps he's complaining about the name Bobby- Ray. [​IMG]

Seriously, I have found Doms to be a very noisy breed. I only had two, and they were hens but they were squawkers. Both of them. If you have another roo that might cause him to go off. Or if there is another near by that he can hear.

If you can't keep him then perhaps you can post him to CL or post to find others who have Doms.

I wish you well,

Rancher

4. macdoogle2

macdoogle2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    San Diego
    Sorry about your Roo. I just had to re-home mine for the same reason. If you care about him make sure you ask for a decent price. I let mine go for $5. Now I could just kick myself. It's not about the money, it's about taking him out of chicken dinner statis.

5. RedheadErin

RedheadErin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    you can find a home for him on petfinder.com. it has recently supplied me with 4 chickens and 2 guinea pigs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by