One strange chicken--

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by rcarr, Dec 30, 2009.

1. rcarr

rcarr New Egg

Dec 15, 2008
    Hello,
    I was given a rooster that seems to be a black, white crested Polish. Just going by appearance & pictures. I think he was hand raised & doesn't appear to know he is a chicken. We live in Wyoming & it is very cold at night and there are night predators around, but this rooster hasn't been going to the roost at night with the rest of the chickens. He did most of the time this fall.

With all of those feathers in his eyes--could he not see where to go? Should I trim the feathers away from his eyes? I am tired of going out every night & placing him in with the hens. He is very sweet & has me trained to bring him special grains to catch him.

Our dogs keep other creatures away during the day, but we keep the dogs in at night & he wouldn't have a chance of surviving outside by himself overnight.

2. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Welcome to BYC! I am glad you joined us. It seems that your roo has you figured out! I am not sure why he doesn't go to "bed" with the rest. Is it possible that he gets picked on? I have one roo that insists on being the last one in at night. If I am tired of waiting on him I just guide him in with a broom, but I have a small run that a broom can reach all the way across.

3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG] and [​IMG] from S. Florida! Glad you joined us!

4. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    [​IMG] from Alaska

Glad you joined us.

5. [​IMG] and [​IMG]
    From, VA

I know you will enjoy this forum a lot [​IMG]

6. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009