One tame, 4 wild ones.......

cabela

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 16, 2010
Wisconsin
I have a pullet, about 8 wks.old that I got when she was very young, she is really friendly, loves to be held,etc. We now got 4 new pullets about 6wks. old, they run from me and peck at me when I try to pick them up, they huddle together. They were raised free range with their mother, so far, we have them enclosed in the run. Is there any way to get them used to me without pecking me? They also like to pick on my first pullet, she is soooo afraid of them I feel bad! Should I just let them work it out? Thanks:)

The new ones are just scared, and pecking at everything.

Go into the run with a plastic chair and some very yummy treats. Stay in the chair slowly feeding, and talking to them. Your girl will come hang out by you. If any of the other birds pecks her or chases her, move between them, even if it is just your hand. Do not chase them. You are trying to get them to trust you, but understand you protect her.

You should stay with them for a least a half hour per day everyday to calm them down and get them used to you. Usually, the more time you spend the faster they will calm down.

(They are still going to establish their own pecking order among themselves when you aren't around, but, this gives them some neutral time. Usually you let them see but not touch each other when you introduce new birds for a period of two weeks or so.)

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the advice. I know you can't scold a chicken but I was tempted, guess I am used to training my dog, lol. I will spend some treat time with them, what do you suggest? My other pullet, the rooster, that I got rid of loved worms, but these don't seem all that interested, I tried carrots too?
Sometimes I think my original pullet is blind, she bangs into alot of things? And traps herself behind things?
I am so glad people like you are out there to help us newbies:) Thanks again...Lisa

Mealworms are a great treat and it really helped in taming down my girls. They also love cooked spaghetti (looks like worms). Of everything I have given them, the mealworms were the biggest hit. Sit in the pen and hand feed them goodies and this makes you become the "treat lady".

Oh you can scold a chicken alright; but not scared little chicks that need to learn to trust you won't kill them first. Wait until they are older and do something to deserve it.
wink.png

Mealworms are always great as treats - once they figure those out, they forget everything in their zeal to be the first one at them!!!

Other stuff to try are bits of strawberry, yogurt on your finger tip, whole collard leaves can be held by you and still let them keep some distance while darting in for bites - so that is a good starter.

Back
Top Bottom