One tough chicken!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Avalon1984, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    I had to take a moment to introduce my most favorite chicken Tarzan. I bought her this year at TSC as a chick and she is by far the friendliest chicken I have ever met. Of course, as Murphys law is alive and well, as my most favorite chicken she suffered from an acute impacted crop. With no vet close by and no way the mass of stuff was going to pass we had to do crop surgery on her. One of the scariest things I have ever done, but she was a trooper. We pulled stuff the size of a large softball out of her. It has been almost a week now and she is recovering well. She is eating good and her wound looks beautiful and clean. I disinfect it 3 times a day. She also drinks her water very well. I just had to say that I am proud of my tough chicken.

[​IMG]

2. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    Wow! You should be proud of yourself! I don't think I would've been able to do it

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Good for you and your chicken![​IMG]

4. Avalon1984

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Thank you all! I didn’t think I could do it either. Thanks to this amazing forum I had read about it before and summed up enough willpower to do it. Once she let me do all the work it was much easier than I expected. But I must say I do not care to repeat this performance anytime soon [​IMG]

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Congrats on a job well done. [​IMG]

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Be proud of yourself for doing the job.

7. Avalon1984

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Quote:Thanks Sourland, you are too kind. I always tell people that sometimes one must put their personal feelings (in my case, “Good God, how am I supposed to do that???? What is this smell????") aside to do what is best for the animal. Guess it was my turn to prove that. I cannot believe she pulled through. Now I love her even more. [​IMG]

8. binders

binders Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2011
    Well done! Don't think I could do it. [​IMG]

9. ChickensXOXO

ChickensXOXO Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    The Carolinas
    A life saver, you are! So glad she's doing well now. [​IMG]

10. typnslow

typnslow Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    New Market, Al
    I am proud of you...and proud for her. Good job.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by